Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:48 PM   #1

I have both the Fz 2 and Fz 20 very nice cameras both take good photos hard to tell the difference, Used mostly in P mode at the moment ,Buti would like to ask users of these what is the lowest safe speed to set if ifgo to (shutter priority) at the MAX zoom length. Of course the is will be on all the time mode 2, Dont want to risk shake but also dont want to set speed too high as it will open the lens too much like to keep at or above F4 i should thinki s the lenses sweet spot?, Also have any members concerns about the battery not being available in years to come? ,I mention this asi see the newer 30 /50 models have yet anouther different battery ,thanks for any advice on these two issues Rodo.:bye:
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2006, 1:03 PM   #2

ok thing 1 is, it doesnt matter what the zoom is at, other than you may lose most of a stop in light.

thing 2 is, pay attention to the zoom angle you have, you need to know what the 35mm equivalence is for a given zoom, lets say 36mm to 420mm.

the rough and ready formula is this, put a 1 over the zoom range you are using. for wide angle that might be 36mm, so 1/36 th of a second takes care of shake. for the long end of the tele, say 420mm, that would be 1/420 th of a second.

now i dont have OIS, but I hear nice things about it to the tune of 1 or 2 stops, maybe 3 in a pinch. if you dont have OIS then its as above

so for wide that was 1/36 th sec, you go 2 stops, 1/18th to 1/9th sec
for tele tht was 1/420th sec, 2 stops, 1/210th sec to 1/100th sec

circumstances that would change that are the speed the subject is moving at (if you want to freeze the action), or the conditions you are in like wind where you have to stand and the camera is less steady. at those times you need to shoot closer to wide open and give as much speed as you can get.

to help yourself out when not using a tripod, try to use available props like a wall or a tree to steady yourself

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:01 PM   #3

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
ok thing 1 is, it doesnt matter what the zoom is at, other than you may lose most of a stop in light.

thing 2 is, pay attention to the zoom angle you have, you need to know what the 35mm equivalence is for a given zoom, lets say 36mm to 420mm.

the rough and ready formula is this, put a 1 over the zoom range you are using. for wide angle that might be 36mm, so 1/36 th of a second takes care of shake. for the long end of the tele, say 420mm, that would be 1/420 th of a second.

now i dont have OIS, but I hear nice things about it to the tune of 1 or 2 stops, maybe 3 in a pinch. if you dont have OIS then its as above

so for wide that was 1/36 th sec, you go 2 stops, 1/18th to 1/9th sec
for tele tht was 1/420th sec, 2 stops, 1/210th sec to 1/100th sec

circumstances that would change that are the speed the subject is moving at (if you want to freeze the action), or the conditions you are in like wind where you have to stand and the camera is less steady. at those times you need to shoot closer to wide open and give as much speed as you can get.

to help yourself out when not using a tripod, try to use available props like a wall or a tree to steady yourself

Riley
Thanks thats easy to understand. but any answers from those with IS as in the Panasonics please.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote