Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:21 PM   #1

FZ5 with Opteka .22x

[align=center]

[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]

[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]

[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]
[/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2006, 8:29 PM   #2

are those ever neat!!! sure puts a different perspective on things!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:18 AM   #3

Nice - really like the last one - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:54 AM   #4

truly fascinating images.
I love the way #2 and #4 pull me deep into the photo.
Thank you.
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:47 PM   #5

Love that lattice work Fred. You're sure having fun with those fish eye lenses.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:35 PM   #6

Very nice shots!

Some are cropped at the ends horizontally and some verticly, Is this due to the zooms focal length?:?

I have a Kodak camera for which I have a tube for aux. lenses (A 52mm and a 55mm).

I was looking at the .22x aux lens at Amazon and they list them many times , each refering to adifferent camera. All come with several adaptor rings and look the same.

Do you think it matters which one I buy to use on my z7490 (10x optical zoom)?

BiLL

:|

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Some are cropped at the ends horizontally and some verticly, Is this due to the zooms focal length?

I have a Kodak camera for which I have a tube for aux. lenses (A 52mm and a 55mm).

I was looking at the .22x aux lens at Amazon and they list them many times , each refering to adifferent camera. All come with several adaptor rings and look the same.

Do you think it matters which one I buy to use on my z7490 (10x optical zoom)?
These are straight from the camera, resized only - not cropped. #1 is vertically oriented. They are at 1x zoom. Zooming in to about 2x will eliminate the vignetting and reduce thedegree of distortion, which, IMO, is the primary attraction of the lens.

I got mine at on ebay via 47th Street Photo Buy Now for $60 + $9 s/h. (There is currently one going for $25 in 'New' condition from an independent seller.) It is described as being for Canon EOS cameras but there is nothing on or in the box or on the lens that indicates it's for anyspecific camera. I've seen the amazon (and onebay as well) listings for many specificcameras and I feel certain it is exactly the same generic lens in exactly the same box with exactly the same instructions. I don't know why they go to the trouble of doing it that way. To confuse matters a bit more, the same lens appears to be sold under the Phoenixname as a .25x fisheye.

It has 52mm native threads and came with 55-52mm and 58-52mm step rings. Although the informationfrom the seller (and from various other sellers)says it can be used with 49, 52, 55, and 58mm threaded set-ups, there was no 49-52mm step ring included. The instruction sheet that came with itonly mentions compatiblity with 52, 55, and 58mm. The lens works equally well with my fz5, fz1, fx01, oly c2100,and minolta dimage 7. It's arelatively inexpensive generic 52mm .22x (or .25x?) wa lens -probably designed for camcorders -that will most likely work fine withmost digital still cameras, including the kodak.

Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:31 PM   #8

FMORE

Thanks for your prompt reply!

All the people on the Kodak forum are going throught the phases that come and go here too.

Everyone is buying either Oly Tele aux. lenses or Kodak or Raynox.

Wide angle or fish eye have caught on with the Kodak people yet. I always went for wide over the tele view (tele is for peeping toms while the wide angle lets mee look at all the windows of a building:G)

I was looking at the Kodak and Oly wide aux but found them too bulkyand front heavy. I found a nice wide angle Raynox at Amazon that said for my Kodak, it is a model DCR-720 .72x wide angle and comes with the tube to fit my camera which has a 52mm thread for the aux lens and my old filters from my NNikon days.

I also have a Oly 2100uz which I cant see selling on e-bay via a sell here who takes 30%. The 2100uz had a great lens ans IS system made by Cannon. Were you on the Yahoo forum devoted to the 2100uz? I was there as Bill2468 or birdman (don't remember).

I will be buying this aux fish eye soon.

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
I was looking at the Kodak and Oly wide aux but found them too bulkyand front heavy. I found a nice wide angle Raynox at Amazon that said for my Kodak, it is a model DCR-720 .72x wide angle and comes with the tube to fit my camera which has a 52mm thread for the aux lens and my old filters from my NNikon days.

I also have a Oly 2100uz which I cant see selling on e-bay via a sell here who takes 30%. The 2100uz had a great lens ans IS system made by Cannon. Were you on the Yahoo forum devoted to the 2100uz? I was there as Bill2468 or birdman (don't remember).
Bill - I've had a few wa converters including the dcr720. I wasn't happy with the soft corners and barrel distortion with the 720. I finally got a 52mm dcr6600 .66x (about the same size as the 720) and have been very pleased with it. I no longer have the 720, but the opteka .22x at 2-3x zoom with the fz5looks to be as good if not better (ie, wider) than the 720 as I recall. For some shots comparing the opteka as a wa lens with the dcr6600 and fz5 alone see here.

I don't plan on selling my c2100 either. I spent some time on the dpreview oly forum a few years ago but not at the yahoo site.

Fred
Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:15 AM   #10

Very cool series with a fresh perspective ...Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote