Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:23 AM   #1

looks like i may not be posting too many new pics for a while... the rains have set in! we've gotten over 8" of rain - nearly a quarter of our annual average - in just the first week of November, with more on the way. between that and the fact that we only have usable daylight now from about 9AM till 3:30PM, it makes outdoor photography pretty much out of the question, unless we get some sun on a weekend... *sigh* i swear, one of these days, i am gonna move someplace where i don't feel like a waterlogged troglodyte for 4 months out of the year!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2006, 10:52 AM   #2

I sympathise with you, we have been on the southern edge of your storms so it has not been to bad but that is not usually the case. What you have to remember are the other 8 months when you have good weather. Most anyplace it does not rain often is so crowded you would not want to live there or it is so hot in the summer you can't get out of the house. But, just like you I keep thinking I want to move to where it is sunny most of the time.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:12 AM   #3

So sorry about the rains keeping you in...always love your photos...maybe a weekend away somewhere sunny with your camera? Here on the EAst coast we areblessedto have a balance of sun and rain. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:50 PM   #4

actually, we have a fairly good balance here, too, Donna... it's just thatthe balance is in big chunks! we get the sun and dry weather between June and October, and from November till May, it's mostly gray and wet. occasionally we get some spells of clear weather in mid-winter, but when we do, it's so cold, and the days are so short, it's hardly worth the bother. i don't mind rain, in moderation... but not being able to get out and use my cameras for the better part of 4 months out of the year is kinda depressing! LOL!

Ted, i know what you mean... although i dislike the constant gray drippies we have here in winter, you couldn't pay me to live in a place like Phoenix or L.A.... yeah, it's sunny, but too hot in summer, and MUCH too crowded as well! but there are places with climates more amenable to my tastes... like Flagstaff, or some of the towns in northern NM or south-central Idaho... places where it's sunny most of the time, but where it's not too crowded. unfortunately, moving there will have to wait till i retire... most of those spots don't have much in the way of job opportunities, and with my kids still living with me, i need a bit more income than working in a local store in Sedona orKetchum or Cimarron can provide... but once the kids are out and i'm out of the 9 to 5 rat race, i can set my sights on a change of climate... or as Jimmy Buffet says, "changes in latitude, changes in attitude...."
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:23 PM   #5

Ahh, Rocky, you could enjoy the heat and mosquitoes with us. Even good days, you would be missing the beautiful scenery you have now. Mind you, I do live in an area that is not real crowded, but then we have other problems I won't mention here. Here like Morton salt "When it rains, it pours", but then we may have a long dry spell, where we pray for rain. Summers are hot and humid, but sometimes very little rain.

It seems that every locality has its advantages and disadvantages. However, I know that you will come up with some interesting and unique photos to share with us. Looking forward to viewing them.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:24 PM   #6

Hey Rocky. Don't fret. Spring is just......oh, a long ways away. I know how you feel. We got 325mm or 13"of rain where I live (right up against the mountains), and man, I feel like a mushroom. I took some shots of the runoff the other day, but haven't posted any yet. Maybe after I come up for air....cheers.....Don

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
looks like i may not be posting too many new pics for a while... the rains have set in! we've gotten over 8" of rain - nearly a quarter of our annual average - in just the first week of November, with more on the way. between that and the fact that we only have usable daylight now from about 9AM till 3:30PM, it makes outdoor photography pretty much out of the question, unless we get some sun on a weekend... *sigh* i swear, one of these days, i am gonna move someplace where i don't feel like a waterlogged troglodyte for 4 months out of the year!
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:26 PM   #7

You could live here in central Texas Rocky. It only got over 100 degreesabout 30 times this summer. Course we don't have the beautiful mountains you have but if you like the hill countryyou could find something to shoot.

The thing to look forward to and work for is retirement with a couple or threemill in the bank. Then you could move with the seasons!

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:22 PM   #8

well squirrel, I have read about all the rains in BC and your just a hop, skip and a jump from there. well, we will just have to wait in anticipation for your next photo postings!!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:13 PM   #9

Hey Squirl, whats rain look like? :-) Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:14 PM   #10

There are less than 500 people in my tiny town ... and we could always squeeze in a few more families. Bring your camera and a little rain along with you, and you'd be made most welcome.

BTW, it was a balmy 84 today (they don't call it Utopia for nothing!)
RiaRia is offline   Reply With Quote