Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:46 AM   #1

Since forum members seem to have been quite interested lately in Photo of the Day threads, I suppose it is worth mentioning that my Pana FZ20 has allowed me to get, over the last year or so,something like 15 POTDs on Dphoto (a photo-site frequented heavily by pro and semi-pro photographers, and to which a few of the world's top photographers contribute from time to time)...

A couple of my favourites chosen for POTD there include:

http://www.dphoto.us/forumphotos/sho...37508/cat/1271

http://www.dphoto.us/forumphotos/sho...33558/cat/1271

(where the latter one is my current entry in the Canon Australia Photo of the Year contest:

http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/Gall...?imageid=17995)

Cheers,
DC

Attached Images

David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:07 AM   #2

Amazing shots! I love these cameras. Got any secrets on metering, exposure, etc...you care to share with fellow forum friends...Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:54 AM   #3

VERY impressive work, David. especially the pelican... how'd you get so close that you could take that shot with only 2x zoom? you must've been right next to the bird!!

i love the mood of the night shot, and you've done a masterful job capturingthe wood texture of the boardwalk...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:05 AM   #4

YUP, they should of been winners. Mighty nice.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:05 AM   #5

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
...love the mood of the night shot, and you've done a masterful job capturingthe wood texture of the boardwalk...

Many thanks - especially coming from someone who has done so much stirling work with the FZ20... :-)

The boardwalk shot was one ofmy favourite of all the photos I took last year. The image was quite a pleasant surprise - in that, even though when I set the shot up I was hoping for something like this look, I did not expect it to turn out this well (especially given that this is essentially the straight shot - with practically no photoshop post-processing). I must admit I felt a bit silly at the time, lying on those cold, dusty boards to get the shot I wanted, but how nice it turned out made all that worthwhile...

With the pelican, not only was I was lucky enough to have almost perfect light for this one, but also he was so intent on watching the surface of the water forsigns of any fish, that he let me get close enough to take this detailed portrait!

Thanks Donna - and regarding metering/exposure, I tend to use a -0.33 exposure compensation most of the time with the FZ20 (ie if I am not using manual - since most of the time I use manual, separately spot-metering each major part of the scene and then setting a median shutter/aperature combination to maximise dynamic range). Most of the time it pays to expose for your highlights (eg on the pelican shot I had a full stop of under-exposure compensation) - since shadow detail can often be brought out, but with digital if the highlights get blown there is often no way to get that detail back. The main problem with under-exposure on the FZ cams is the extra image noise it tends to generate - but that is usually preferable to blowing out the highlights...

Another thing I try to do when framing, which is sometimes not worried about too much these days, is making sure horizons etc are properly aligned. I have heard lots of people say "I don't worry about crooked horizons - I just straighten it later in photoshop". True, this works quite well if required - but you sacrifice a lot of image quality every time you do a rotation that is not a multiple of 90 degrees. Much better to gets those horizontals and verticals nice and square when taking the shot...

I mention this issue in relation to discussion over another of my Dphoto pics:

http://www.dphoto.us/forumphotos/sho...40715/cat/1271

Thanks also to Roger.

Cheers,
DC

Old Nov 10, 2006, 5:14 PM   #6

Very nice, the night picture is my favorite it's super.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:09 PM   #7

Fantastic David. The window shot is brilliant

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:25 PM   #8

Thanks Ted, Thanks Fred - I should really get around to framing more of my shots I suppose...

I have decent sized prints of several of my recent favourites (typically around 8 x 11s - I would like to see how well they enlarge to big sizes, but since such enlargements tend to be so expensive have not tried yet...) but have not put many up on the wall yet (though I do have the pelican shot up, in the kitchen - where its colouring is well suited, since our kitchen has a yellow colour-theme).

David