Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:32 AM   #11

this forum has truly helped me to realize all the wonders of the panny cameras and to even find out more about it each day!!! makes me sound religious or something!!!!:?:idea::?:idea::-):-)
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:58 AM   #12

Your right Annie. When I joined this forum I knew absoutely nothing about a camera or photography. Now, even though I'm not as good as most who are posting here, because of them I know my camera, what it can and can't do and at least have a chance at a great shot and am still learning everyday.............Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:17 PM   #13

I'd be interested in seeing the completed project. You must mean it was tested to save labor later on because you are working right now.:-)
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:58 PM   #14

It is still work to put a new bed in but the conventional method has always been to completelytill the area, clean out the dead grass and roots, put a two to three inch layer of compost over the area and till it again to mix compost with soil. Then plant your plants and cover with mulch.

With this new no till method we are testing you kill the grass out, dig a hole about twice as large as the plant you are planting in it, mix a shovel full of compost with the soil,plant your plant and cover with three to four inches of mulch. It savedat least twoand maybe three days of bed prep and tilling for me.

After that all you do is add 1 1/2-2" of mulch every year to replace what has broken down and gone into the soil. You never till it or move the mulch again. After three or four years the soil is almost like a sponge, it holds water andthe breaking down mulch adds neutrients so you don't even need to fertilize. That is saying a lot in the clay soil we have here.

The complete program is called EarthKind and is being developed by Texas A&M.

Dang! Don't get me started on that again, Don
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:14 AM   #15

Love the wagon! Physical labor is good for you Don. :G

Beth Ellen
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:50 AM   #16

Thanks Beth. I could not do that before my Dr. came up with some new pain pills and pills for my tremors that work. That wagon is the first painting I've been able to do in years. Now I'm doing everything. Still can't take a long walk through the woods but I'm able to be active again.............................Don
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:58 AM   #17

There is nothing like loving the job you do. Your pics make it clear how you enjoy your work. Keep going!
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:36 AM   #18

Thanks Raghu. It's nice to be able to work like that again.....................Don
Old Nov 16, 2006, 3:10 PM   #19

Well, that's great Don...glad to hear this. )
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote