Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:17 PM   #1

These are replica boats of the style used by Atchafalaya fishermen in the early 1920's until about 1960. The engines were mostly Lockwood Ashe engines that were manufactured here in Plaquemine at Nadler' Foundry and Machine Works. The first engines were 1 cylinders (often called one lungers). These engines could be heard coming through the swamps. While they were slow in speed, they would push considerable loads. They used a magneto, which could be controlled to retard the spark and cause the engine to reverse, thus giving the owner much more manueverablity. These engines are prized today, and the boats are now built only by a few older craftsmans. Most of them are still built from Cypress. A complete rig can cost $10,000 on up.

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...ov%205%202006/

I hope you all enjoy my gallery. I still remember these old boats, when many people's livelyhood depended on them. They had a very unique sound. One knew right away when the trapper, fisherman, or moss picker was coming in.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:26 PM   #2

Gooood photos and a cooool subjuect. I thing if you buy two of them you should wend one out here to me. I would looook gooood on one of our lakes in one of those.

I enjoyed your gallery. You have been working on getting it all together and it looks good.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:51 PM   #3

I don't know much about the subject but it was interesting. )

Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:14 PM   #4

Nice gallery! Looking at all those boats made me think of two things, one my papa was a boat builder here on the Eastern shore and two, catch of the day, like shrimp jambalaya or gumbo...Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:21 PM   #5

Thanks for viewing, Roger, Beth and Donna. I do appreciate your nice comments..

Jerry
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:21 PM   #6

Thanks for viewing, Roger, Beth and Donna. I do appreciate your nice comments..

Jerry
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:27 PM   #7

I enjoyed your gallery You have some neat shots. I was surprised by the size of the boats, I was expecting something bigger. Those shiny wooden boats sure are pretty. How do they start them, s do they crank on the big flywheel on the front?
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:40 PM   #8

Ted, they actually rotate the flywheel by hand while retarding the spark. If all is right they start right off, then the spark is advanced. The operator sits on the side of the boat controlling the spark and the tiller. It really becomes a skill to them, especially in the swamp. Most of the boats averaged between 20 and 24' long, but were usually only 4' wide. This was necessary for them to be able to pass through the cypress trees in the swamps.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:58 PM   #9

cool gallery, Jerry! :G those look almost like motorized pirogues... shallow draft, long an' skinny to sneak between the trees... never did figure out the reason for the squared bow, though...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:31 PM   #10

Great gallery Jerry! Neat boats to and those are the strangest engines I've ever seen. There is a lot of neat history from your part of the world................Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote