Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:54 AM   #1

These shots are of a small farming town and its cemetery near where I live. You can't see all of the town but this is the only spot I could find to shoot. The cemetery is also much larger but that is all I could see through the trees. I took both shots two different ways and since I could not decide which I liked I am posting both.

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:11 PM   #2

looks like a scenic little town, Ted... but i wonder... i can see what looks like some smearing or loss of texture and detail on the trees and rooftops. is that the FZ50's noise reduction program getting a little overzealous?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:58 PM   #3

nice town photos and luv the countryside..that is an odd looking graveyard!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 1:08 PM   #4

I have to edit what I said below. I again looked at identical (as close as I had) shots of the FZ50 and D50 and the D50 does have better detail. The FZ compared to the D50 looks just a tad OOF so this could be due to NR I don't really know.

It could be but I took the same shots with my D50 and there seems to be very little if and difference. More than likely it is my processing or the distance I was shooting. The shots were from 200 yards to 1/4 mile so some loss of detail is inevitable. That being said, I have taken some shots where it seems the noise reduction did some funny things.

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
looks like a scenic little town, Ted... but i wonder... i can see what looks like some smearing or loss of texture and detail on the trees and rooftops. is that the FZ50's noise reduction program getting a little overzealous?
Old Nov 11, 2006, 1:41 PM   #5

Thanks Annie, actually the graveyard is much larger and runs up a steep hill. It is an old graveyard and quite interesting. It has been featured in 2 or three movies filmed in the town. One being Outbreak with Dustin Hoffman.

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
nice town photos and luv the countryside..that is an odd looking graveyard!!
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:35 PM   #6

Very scenic shots! Lovely little town...donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 3:28 PM   #7

tcook wrote:
Quote:
I have to edit what I said below. I again looked at identical (as close as I had) shots of the FZ50 and D50 and the D50 does have better detail. The FZ compared to the D50 looks just a tad OOF so this could be due to NR I don't really know.

It could be but I took the same shots with my D50 and there seems to be very little if and difference. More than likely it is my processing or the distance I was shooting. The shots were from 200 yards to 1/4 mile so some loss of detail is inevitable. That being said, I have taken some shots where it seems the noise reduction did some funny things.

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Ted, this isn't OOF so much as some places where it looks like some of the fine detail was lost or smeared... the FZ50 has been noted for this, and i suspect it's due to the FZ50's internal NR algorithms.

i took the liberty of enlarging and taking a crop to show you what i mean... notice how the detail and textureare lost in some of the trees, particularly those with no leaves, but adjacent parts of the image seem toretain most of their detail? i'm not being critical of your photography, but it does seem the FZ50 isn't helping your cause...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:09 PM   #8

Winston, I did not think you were being critical of the photo, and I too have noticed some issues with NR. I had not yet precessed the D50 shots and I thought they looked much the same but after going back and looking closer that was not the case.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 6:10 AM   #9

nice shots, like nr1 better than nr2, nr3 better than nr4 although these two last shots are more different and give another view on the same object.

The blurring in the trees is there but it doesn't really bother me this much, as far as I see those trees have lost their leaves, and (imho) any not dslr will have problems getting details from them.

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:49 AM   #10

I like the first shot.You chose the right viewpoint for the picturesque town. (Remember ET looking through the foliage at the town soon after its spacecraft left?)
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote