Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:07 PM   #1

What is everyone's opinion here? From what I've read, the H5 performs better under low light circumstances. The FZ50 has a 10+mp sensor, as opposed to a 7.1mp one for Sony. The FZ50 also appears to be the winner in terms of speed, etc. Any thoughts as to which is the better camera, producing better quality images?
JohnnyNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:01 AM   #2

i wouldnt judge either of these cameras by the size of the sensor
you pretty well nailed the differences
the pana for handling, or the sony for better iso

just to trip the light fantastic
you might consider the FZ7, or the FZ30

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:01 PM   #3

JohnnyNewbie wrote:
Quote:
What is everyone's opinion here? From what I've read, the H5 performs better under low light circumstances. The FZ50 has a 10+mp sensor, as opposed to a 7.1mp one for Sony. The FZ50 also appears to be the winner in terms of speed, etc. Any thoughts as to which is the better camera, producing better quality images?
i greatly understand your agony. i was in your situation before when i was about to purchase my first digicam (who wasn't?). tough call, indeed.

my only advise is, prepare at least 2-3 choices (in your case, it only boils down between the sony and the panasonic), then have a trip to your favorite store, compare and try both before buying. the one which you'll feel at home with not just on the handling but also the quality (since it differs among people) will most likely determine your final choice.

just do remember - there's no such thing as the perfect camera. every unit has its flaws. just look at what it can offer to you.
fz30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:15 AM   #4

FWIW......I have only seen photos from the Sony from the web.....but I am not sure with the fringing and CA you can claim the Sony IQ to be better......noise/NR wise perhaps, but not overall. Only my opinion.

I also have not seen anything to make me believe the sony is better in low light, in fact I have read it will not focus in low light.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:17 AM   #5

Most every review I've read said that anything up to about ISO400 is excellent with the Sony and ISO 800 even, is usable, at smaller prints....Not so with the Panny, as ISO200 is hardly usable.
JohnnyNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:53 AM   #6

If you really believe that the FZ50 photos over ISO 200 are not usable then get the Sony.......but I am not sure how you came to that conclusion.......I did not get a FZ50 preferring to stay with my FZ30.... but I printed severalFZ50 ISO800 photos at 8X10 and in no way found them unusable.

I also printed ISO400 photos and found them to be near perfect.

Go to dpreview then the FZ50 review and the sample photos and download the Mercat photo(I think it a Mercat) ...its ISO 800....download the original size photo and print it at 8 X 10 if you feel that is not usable you better get a DSLR.

I tried to direct link you to the photo but this site will not permit that.

JohnnyNewbie wrote:

Quote:
Most every review I've read said that anything up to about ISO400 is excellent with the Sony and ISO 800 even, is usable, at smaller prints....Not so with the Panny, as ISO200 is hardly usable.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:18 AM   #7

heres a couple of links

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/panasonicfz50_samples2/

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/SonyH5_Samples/

Riley
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:03 PM   #8

How did you do that ...I tried that ISO400 photo.

Can you link him to the Mercat or whatever it is?

Dang it seems to work now.......thanks

http://img2.dpreview.com/gallery/pan...1010391_gs.jpg

http://img2.dpreview.com/gallery/pan...1010391_gs.jpg

Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:20 PM   #9

hi Gene
you just copy the link as normal
then control v to paste it in

i dont know what Mercat is or i would

Riley
Old Nov 14, 2006, 3:20 PM   #10

The reason I once (years and years ago :-)) upgraded to an fz5 where two main problems I had with the samsung clone i was using.

It didn't focus fast enough and had a terrible CA and Blue fringing.

I think the speed improvement of the H5 would have been already enough but for me the CA an Blue fringing would have removed it from my list

The dpreview review states.

"All super zoom cameras suffer from some fringing (though Panasonic's processing removes it before you ever see it), but on occasion the H5 takes it to a whole new - and at times totally unacceptable - level."

I went for the fz5 because I found the fz20 to big, now on the other hand I would have liked the manual focus.

Best is that you try to find out what you want from the camera, and what you hope you'll be able to do with it in a year to decide what camera is the right one for you.
Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote