Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:42 AM   #1

yup, i'm a newbie here.....please bear with me.

what are you owners of the FZ 7 doing to combat the noise level of your pics?

thanks for your help
joe vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:07 PM   #2

I don't own an FZ7 but with the FZ30 what I do is avoid low light conditions, use ISO 200 at the most and a good flash for indoors shots.
jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 5:17 PM   #3

Match the basic ambient light level to the ISO selection & your pictures will turn out so good that you wont even want or need noise post processing. All of this takes practise. Shoot at low light levels till you get the hang of it. (Practise taking photos when there's at most a 100 watt bulb in the room; took me easily 3 months of shooting in low light including indoor stage performances to begin to get the hang of low light. The keys are leaning how to select the ISO, shutter & EV setting combination for the available light/situaton - a tip is that the PANY underestimates the available light plus its priority is to minimize ISO; now I can get almost great PIXes in near total dark (eg across a room when the subject is light with only a 40 watt bulb, tripod not needed)
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 6:21 PM   #4

PS: The other day I dusted off my OLY C-2100 (classic UZI in mint condition) which I didnt use since owning the PANY. (I will be attending a wedding next week & have been elected as a photographer.) After trying both PANY & UZI (indoor low light no flash) the PANY is able give much better photos (again you must know how to operate the PANY for these conditions). The PANY blows away the C-2100 for sensitivity in low light. (Again, the trick is selection of proper ISO, shutter speed & EV combination for the available light.)

After the trial shoot off I concluded that It is quite possible that the FZ7 (w/ Venus II engine) could become a cult/collector classic (for those willing to master it). (Notwthstanding, for the non-caring user, it is acknowledged that it is almost hard to take a bad shot with an UZI.)
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:51 PM   #5

I have the fz7 and don't have much struggle with noise. I usually shot in good light, sometimes use flash or shot wide open.You could use a slower shutter speed and rest the camera on something if a tripod is notan option. If there is a bit of noise I use noise reduction in Adobe. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:44 AM   #6

sdromel wrote:
Quote:
Match the basic ambient light level to the ISO selection & your pictures will turn out so good that you wont even want or need noise post processing. All of this takes practise. Shoot at low light levels till you get the hang of it. (Practise taking photos when there's at most a 100 watt bulb in the room; took me easily 3 months of shooting in low light including indoor stage performances to begin to get the hang of low light. The keys are leaning how to select the ISO, shutter & EV setting combination for the available light/situaton - a tip is that the PANY underestimates the available light plus its priority is to minimize ISO; now I can get almost great PIXes in near total dark (eg across a room when the subject is light with only a 40 watt bulb, tripod not needed)
Is there any chance you could post a few pix as examples? I used to enjoy taking concert shots with a film compact, but since I started using my FZ7 instead the results have, generally, been rather disappointing.
mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:20 AM   #7

I am beginning to wonder if it's the camera. I bought the FZ7 back in the summer. After a couple of months I noticed it had a problem with the timer function. I brought it back and got a replacement. Since that replacement I have noticed more noise from my pics.In fact I never really saw the effects of noise until I got the replacement.

Makes me think...........
joe vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:00 PM   #8

Two programs for noise reduction mentioned often are Neat Image & Noise Ninja.
The latter is preferred as it more effectively processes chroma noise (predominant type
with PANY). However, supposedly the Professional version of Neat Image is competitive to Noise Ninja.
See
http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise1.htm
http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise_conc.htm

Included now are some low light PIX. All are indoor shot hand held at 0.3 mp using only the light from a standard table lamp (with shade) - 100 watt bulb. I did calibrate the white balance to overcome the terrible yellow cast from the lamp's shade & incandescent bulb.

#412 is at Mode=P, ISO=80, F3.2, 1/5 sec and subject is 4 ft underneath the lamp so that it is getting direct light from the bulb. I had to throttle the EV two or three (-1/3) steps.

#402 is at Mode=P, ISO=400, F3.2, 1/6 sec and subject is 3 ft from the lamp most of the light is thru the lamp's shade.

#400 is at Mode=P, ISO=400, F2.8, 1sec & subject is 10 ft away from the lamp. The lighting is thru the shade & the image has been cleaned up with Neat Image. Now you may say that this is not a very good PIX, but the amount of available light is so little that one would have a difficult time reading the PANY manual.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Samples1.zip (214.5 KB, 60 views)
Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:02 PM   #9

#417 is at Mode=High Sensitivity, ISO=800, F2.8, 1/2 sec with no post processing. High sensitivity images will in general have reduced detail. Some of the lack of sharpness/detail is due to camera motion & the long shutter (eg, note the double image with the little house [back right] setting on the window sill).

These are typical low light indoor shots. With practise & some patience you will be able to do better.

Oh yes as a practical sample, #233s is a musician I recently photographed on stage, outdoors and at night. (The camera is handheld & the subject is about 75 ft away - farther than I desired.) The only processing was image size reduction. Except that I was shooting at 1mp, I dont recall the camers parametrics, but for something like this you shouldnt have to use anything greater than ISO=200 (with EV throttled to get the shutter up to 1/10 - 1/15 sec).

I maintain that mastering difficult low light situations greatly helps one's ability to photograph well when lighting is good although admittedly another challenge area is the other extreme which is harsh bright lighting.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Samples2.zip (131.5 KB, 92 views)
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:50 AM   #10

Many thanks for the info, sdromel.
mono is offline   Reply With Quote