Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 19, 2006, 3:19 PM   #21

Dear Squirl033,

I found your information on lenses terrific. I'm going to think everything you said thru very carefully. For my wildlife photography in Africa over the last 15 years I've used aVivitar 70-210 auto focus zoom lense with my Canon film camera. I was thrilled with its performance and because I track lion and black rhino on foot in dense bush my encounters are well under 50 yards. I think I'm comfortable that it's a long enough lense for me and I like the added help in low light situations. (I've been told by big game hunters in Africa that I do things even they don't attempt, and I'm cetianly the only woman in the world doing it.)

You seemed to say the speed of focus for the Canon lense I have in mind is faster that the others you mentioned, and for me that is critically important, even if it is only a fraction of a second. Thanks for that input.

By the way, I live in Mill Valley, CA (across the bridge from San Francisco), but I went to college in Seattle and worked there for some years. You live in a gorgeous area, lucky you.

Best wishes,

Jude

VanCote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 3:36 PM   #22

Dear Squirl033,

I forgot to comment on your saying the Canon lense I have in mind is also more silent (USM feature?) than the other lenses you mentioned. Black rhinos are totally unpredictable and very pugnacious. Hearing is their greatestdefense so having a quiet lense is also important. Great to know - thanks.

All the best,

Jude
Old Nov 19, 2006, 4:55 PM   #23

Dear Genece,

I'm really glad you mentioned the Nikon D200 and D80. I've gone in on the Nikon Website and they would be great alternatives to the Canon 5D and 30D for me to at least look at.

I really like the lookof the "large, bright viewfinder with .94X magnification" on the D200, plus what they call "near instant response with a .005 shutter time lag." Of course I see we pay for all that.

On the D80 there's also a .008 shutter lag, and what I especially like is the fact it takes SD memory cards which is what I already have.

I see they also have a comparable lense with the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8, with great vibration reduction features.

All good stuff! And also thanks for the tip about making sure a battery is inserted and the camera is turned on when I handle it in the store. That's something I wouldn't have thought to ask about.

I have a question to ask of you. When studying the Canon Websiteand looking at the details on their cameras they had a drop down menu titled something like Microsoft XP. And since that is my operating system I took a look. They seemed to have a long list of problems when one or both (maybe just the 30D)of the cameras I'm considering try to interface with XP andphoto workshop programs. Have you heard anything about this? I plan to talk to Canon directly about it, but I'd be interested in anything you know.

Thanks much,

Jude

Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:06 PM   #24

I think the canon problem with XP is just with some of their older software....I do not think you will have any problem at all, but squirl may know more.....And if it is the transfer thats a problem you really should use a card reader rather than the camera...I have never understood why someone will use a 1000 dollar camera to do something a 5 dollar card reader does at least as well.

And squirl.. I needed stabilization and I fell in love with the 18 to 200 VR....

Canon was not close to that....And it was a good choice for me, I get lots of use from that lens.

I actually bought the lens before I bought the camera.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:11 PM   #25

I totally agree with genece.

But he's very lucky, cause the 18-200mm VR Nikon lens is very hard to find, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive (maybe next month !!).

If that zoom is not enough for you, there's the 80-400mm VR, a little less bright, but very powerful zoom.
jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:24 AM   #26

Gene,

that VR18-200 would definitely give you a lot of use... terrific all-round range, and stabilized as well... i can see why you chose it! i might have picked that one myself, had i gone with Nikon instead of Canon. but i picked the body first, and got the lenses to go with it... my "walkabout" lens is a 24-135 with no stabilization, but at those focal distances, for the most part i don't need it. where i do find it useful is with the Sigma 80-400, which does have OS. it really adds a valuable capability, and on a lens like that, i wouldn't be without it!

Rocky
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:10 PM   #27

Dear Jotajota,

I don't even see the 18-200mm VR Nikon lens listed on the Nikon Website. Where did you find your lens?

Thanks,

Jude
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:17 PM   #28

Here's the link

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=2159

Cheers,

JotaJota
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:19 PM   #29

Here's the link

18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=2159

Cheers,

JotaJota
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:22 PM   #30

Dear Genece,

With your comments I feel better about the XP software, and I do usea card reader for transfers. Can you tell me where you got your 18-200mm VR Nikon lens? I don't see it on the Nikon Website.

Thanks,

Jude