Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:34 PM   #31

Dear Jotajota,

Thanks for the link. I see it costs about $750 and like you say, I looked at B&H Photo in New York and they are back ordered.

Jude
VanCote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:03 PM   #32

Dear "Help" Team,

I went into a shop today andexperimented withboth the Canon 30D and Nikon D80 cameras. In terms of the camera's physicality I really liked the Canon. The grip, the bright viewfinder and the speed of shooting. All great! I think withthe kind assitance of all of you I'm now equiped to make a wise purchase decision. Thanks and best wishes in your future endeavors.

Jude
VanCote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:23 PM   #33

VanCote wrote:
Quote:
Dear "Help" Team,

I went into a shop today andexperimented withboth the Canon 30D and Nikon D80 cameras. In terms of the camera's physicality I really liked the Canon. The grip, the bright viewfinder and the speed of shooting. All great! I think withthe kind assitance of all of you I'm now equiped to make a wise purchase decision. Thanks and best wishes in your future endeavors.

Jude
frankly, Jude, the way the camera 'fits' is more important than the minor differences in tech specs between these two. both the 30D and the D80 will produce excellent images, and once printed, you'll probably never be able to tell whichcamera took which photo. so go with the one that 'fits' you best, that feels most natural and comfortable. especially for shooting wildlife like you plan to, the camera needs to be an extension of your hands and eyes. whichever one feels most like that will get you the best results most often. remember, all modern DSLRs will produce technically excellent photos, but a great image is the result of a great photographer, not the camera he uses...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 2:39 AM   #34

Here are my 2 cents. If you want everything the FZ line of cameras has, such as Image Stabilization and ultra zoom, in a DSLR without spending a fortune, check out the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D or 7D, or the new Sony Alpha A100. Those bodies with a 18-70 kit lens can be purchased now between $550 (the KM5D), and about $900 (Sony Alpha). Then add the Tamron 28-300XR 3.5-6.3 zoom lens (11x), which can be found on ebay for under $200. This combo gives you all the advantages of the FZ line, but so much more. The image stabilization is CCD, not lensbased, so every lens you attached will automatically be stabilized. You have an optical viewfinder, just as in a film SLR. The focus and shutter lag are almost instant. Dynamic range and noise patterns are FAR superior to any digicam. While the lens is not as fastat the tele-end as the FZ's (6.3 vs. 3.7), this is far outweighed by the improved noise behavior, meaning an ISO1600, even ISO3200 is much better than ISO400 with an FZ. And if you really a faster lens for low light indoors purposes, you can pick up cheap lenses from ebay. Any Minolta AF lens since 1985 will work. For example, I got a 50mm f1.7 lens for $50.

The Sony Alpha A100 just scored Popular Photography's "DSLR of the Year Award" in the December issue, by the way.

For me the KM5D combo answered all the shortcomings I found in the FZ30, and I do not regret trading up for a minute. The price differential was just about $200, including the ultra-zoom Tamron lens. Sharpness and detail, by the way, in no way lag behind the FZs, even with their clearly superb Leica lens. Naturally a 10 times larger sensor is going to catch more detail and dynamic range.

Here is a shot of my middle son, Tanner,taken at almost full zoom with the KM5D, Tamron 28-300 combo.

...and here another one, again at almost full zoom (280mm, effectively 420mm due to 1.5x crop factor), indoors at a hair salon, handheld at 1/80th, f6.3,ISO 1600.

While noise is visible at ISO1600 it is still less than ISO400 was in my FZ's. You just can't do that with any digicam. I personally LOVED my FZ20 (I preferred its warmer images to the blue-leaning FZ30), but since I now have an all-in-one image stabilized DSLR with the option to add faster, wider, longer and specialty lenses as well as any other toys, the FZ would collect dust now had I kept it.

Consider this option as an alternative.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:14 AM   #35

VanCote wrote:
Quote:
Dear JMGIV,

Thanks much for your feedback. I appreciate hearing you see some of the same shortfalls I see, and I agree with you about the lightweight advantage. I really did study the manual and modes, and practiced with the camera well before I left on the trip. However, the lesson I learned was that it's one thing to walk around my park-like neighborhood in California and take shots as opposed to when I got in the field and shot in the much more demanding Africanlighting (where dynamic range is critical)and tried to capture an instantaneouslion yawning or an elephant flinging his ears forward, etc. It's the difference between going to a practice range to target shoot and facing down a charging animal in the field.You just can't know how it performs until you're under fire. Also, I couldn't see the results of the photos till I got home and loaded them into my computer. Sorry if that all sounds like excuses. It's just my experience of it.

Thanks again for caring to write back. Your comments helped me.

Vancote
No camera is perfect but the flaws on the FZ10 and 20 can be overcome because the results are the best of the lot. The FZ30 and FZ50 do not come close. Shutter lag is a different story DSLRs are faster but you have to anticipate certain shots or put a red dot site on the top. the shutter is fast enough it is the image lag that is annoying.DSLR's still have a delay problem but much less why not try gee I can't think of the name
multi-shot feature.

Never go on a trip with a new camera take both or the tried and true.

My FZ10 Gallery http://lovelife.smugmug.com/
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:56 AM   #36

i think you are going to find comparative lenses for either 5D or 30D are going to be very expensive

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:24 PM   #37

LoveLife, those are great shots. Although the exaggerated colorsaturation is pretty obvious to me now that I am a DSLR user. I also like your New York street photography and Jazz photos that you posted in other forums. Have you gone DSLR yet? What do you think of my suggestions above. I respect your input a lot.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote