Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:31 PM   #1

I'm trying to capture some good shots of our family dog running outdoors with my FZ7. She keeps running away or towards me as I'm tossing a stick to get her old bones moving (She's a 13 year old German Shorthaired Pointer) so staying focused is a challange. What camera settings & techniques would be best to capture some great fast moving shots of her in full day light?
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:20 PM   #2

Selectmanual mode. Use spot metering for fast focus, and keep the shutter speed fast (over 1/600) and aperture as wide open as possible (f3.0 of lower)

It takes a little practice cause you have to follow the subject with the camera's viewfinder, and because of the shutter lag you might get the shot after the action has passed.
jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:55 PM   #3

In follow up to Jota's comment, if you have a hotshoe, you may want to trya Red Dot sight, such as the Kwik Aim.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:31 PM   #4

Does the FZ7 have external flash? If it does not, just practice following moving subjects with the camera anduse the unlimited continious modewhile using spot focus and metering. I also use Auto Focus. You'll misssome shots but not as many as you would using the High Speed continious mode. It limits the number of shots and I always forget to raise my finger and start over................Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:51 PM   #5

Wednesday will besunny & 60 degrees.. I'll try these tips then. Thanks all.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:39 PM   #6

Set the camera to Continuous Autofocus. It is Cont.AF on my FZ10 menu. With this engaged the camera will continue to focus while you hold the shutter half-depressed. Without Cont.AF engaged the focus will freeze at the point where you half-depress the shutter. Even if you use a full shutter press the camera will do a better job of focusing on a moving object in Cont.AF. But it is best to hold the shutter half-depressed in Cont.AF until the moment when you want the shot.

Most continuous AF systems are limited to something moving directly toward or away from the camera of about 7 MPH if the object is fairly close. Your dog might exceed that if running directly toward or away from the camera, but you will get a lot more shots than you get with it turned off and using a full shutter press.

Cont.AF uses more battery power so it is defaulted to off.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:52 PM   #7

Be careful. With my FZ20 and FZ5 Cont.AF only works with the shutter NOT half-depressed! In other words,the camera focusses until the moment you depress the shutter button and then freezesthe focus while the shutter stays depressed -justlikethe exposure, btw. So burst mode only works properly with subjects moving parallel to the horizon...... It may be different with the FZ10 or the FZ7. though.

Yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:16 AM   #8

While I do not have a FZ7 if I were trying to do that with one of the FZs I do have.....I would use the fastest focus I have ....with a FZ30 that is one area high speed.......and I would not ust CAF ....while thats a real advantage with a DSLR it seems to serve no useful purpose on a FZ.

This all takes some getting use to and the keeper rate will not be very high....

You would do better to devise a way to incorporate a Red dot sight into your sceme...

again if I were doing it I would leave the camera in P mode and either make sure there is plenty of light so the shutterspeed is fast enough to freeze the action, or (heaven forbid) raise the ISOat least untill you get the hang of following the dog.

The EVF or LCD of the FZ cameras was just not designed for this sort of thing....Its a piece of cake with a DSLR.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:41 PM   #9

Since the dog is running towards you or away, you need to lock focus either manually or in autofocus with a shutter half-press on a point in the grassin anitcipation ofher being there and then completeing the shot when she arrives. The same method can be used with the dog running perpendicular to the line of sight, although panning as others have recommended might get better results.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 3:41 PM   #10

First picture posting so hopefullythe picture shows up.

Set FZ7 to: 1/1000 shutter speed, F4.5, ISO 200, cont auto focus on, spot metering, and used a skylight filter with the lens hood in place.

How'd I do? What could I have dobe better here?

Attached Images