Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:08 PM   #1

I purchase new Panasonic FZ30.Tomy disappointment all pictures captured at the resolution of 72 dpi. I can't figure out what to do to capture images at 300 dpi. Please help.
sdafriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:03 PM   #2

I know your not going to buy into this too quicky, but dpi means nothing until you print...

To try and prove the point if you have a photo editor leave the original at 72dpi and then open a copy of that photo and change the resolution to 300dpi and save that photo .......then open them both in windows.....any difference?

I know this article is about scanning but it explains dpi much better than I can.

http://www.scantips.com/basics1a.html
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:15 PM   #3

All digital cameras I have seen, even D-SLR save the pict at 72 dpi, I don't know why, but that is.

It does mean nothing and does not affect the quality of picture. The quality depends on the printing size, not DPI
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:31 PM   #4

Some camera mfgs include in the makernotes (I think ) how they want the photo downloaded....some are at 240dpi and some are 300 but as you say... it means nothing.

For instance, photos from my D50 if left to its own devices, downloads at 300dpi....but it still means nothing.

I actually use a program called downloader pro to transfer all my photos and I have it set to transfer all photos (even the ones from my FZ30 and cell phone at 300dpi)....but it still means nothing.

msantos wrote:
Quote:
All digital cameras I have seen, even D-SLR save the pict at 72 dpi, I don't know why, but that is.

It does mean nothing and does not affect the quality of picture. The quality depends on the printing size, not DPI
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:48 AM   #5

sdafriend wrote:
Quote:
I purchase new Panasonic FZ30.Tomy disappointment all pictures captured at the resolution of 72 dpi. I can't figure out what to do to capture images at 300 dpi. Please help.
you don't need to do anything. the FZ30 at maximum resolutionrecords images at 3264x2448 pixels, and unless you select a lower resolution, youarecapturing images at the full 8Mp. 72 dpi and 300 dpi are printer settings, and have nothing to do with the image resolution. it's unfortunate that manyimage viewing/editingprograms use dpi instead of ppi, but for whatever reason, the software makers use those two terms interchangeably,when in factthey are not the same thing.

pixels per inch (ppi)refers to the number of pixelsyour image file will produce at a given print size.ppi means nothing until you need to print the photo. but when you do want to print a picture, you want enough pixels to provide at least 200 ppi to get a top quality print. to find how many ppi you will get at a given print size, divide the image dimensions in pixels by the print dimension in inches for the size print you're making. for instance, let's sayyou want to make an 8"x10" print.at 3264x2448, that would work out to 326 pixels per inch in the long dimension, and306 in the short (3264/10"=326, and 2448/8"=306)... in both cases, more than enough to make a good print. if you want to make a larger print, say a 16x20, you'd get about 163 pixels per inch in the long dimension, and 153 in the shorter one. not ideal, but still enough to make an acceptable print, and you can always upsize the image file to make larger prints.

dpi is dots per inch, not pixels, and the dpi numbers you refer to are settings for the printer,which tell you how many dots of ink the printer will put on each linear inch of paper. it will print that many dots, regardless of how many pixels of image resolution you have. obviously, 300 dpi will produce a finer, more detailed print than 72, so if your printer can be set for 300, that's the better choice. but that dpi number means nothing to your camera, and the 72dpi you see is only a default setting for the software you're using to view the picture. the image you are working with is still 8Mp.

another way to look a this... open your image file and view at 72dpi. on your screen, you'll see just a small part ofa huge image. that's because your monitor is showing you how large your picture will be if you print it at 72dpi (at that printer resolution, your 8Mp file would print out to about 45"x34" - but the print quality would be poor). now switch your settings to 300 dpi. notice that the image on your screen is much smaller... that's because if you print at 300 dpi, you'll get a lot fewer inches of print (about 11"x8") fromthe same3264x2448 image file. all you're seeing on your screen is a preview based on the printer settings you select, and for some reason many image editing programs default to 72dpi, even though no one in their right mind prints photos at that resolution.

hope this helps...

Rocky

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote