Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 25, 2006, 3:53 PM   #1

that taking a pic of a chickadee in flightwould be a big deal. I didnt but after four days of trying, even at ISO 1300, I am beging to change my mind. Hummers, at least for me were a piece of cake compaired to the chickadee. Here is my best shot to date which is quite unacceptable. Anyone else figured out how to do it?
Attached Images

dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2006, 6:49 PM   #2

Ha! That is remarkable that you got that one. I have trouble getting one at the perch. As you say the hummer remains on the perch longer than the chick-a-dee. I have the black capped ones, which I think is what you have there.

I like your photo.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:15 PM   #3

The only way is to be very lucky and have one fly into the picture just as you snap the shutter. Those little fellas are never still. You did good to get the one you did.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:38 PM   #4

hummers hover. chickadees just bounce around like a ping-pong ball in a milk jug. i've managed to catch one on a perch, but i won't eve try to get one in flight! even with my 30D, they just move so fast and so often, i can't even keep 'em in the viewfinder!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:14 PM   #5

Those kind of shots are the most challenging of all from my experience, especially with an LCD or EVF instead of an optical viewfinder. Which model are you using? I noticed that the bird has motion blur (as well as being out of focus) while the background is sharp. I recommend to pre-focus on a subject in the projected flight path of the bird (as though one could possibly predict that) and then use the panning mode and move the camera with the bird, so that the background blurs, but thebird stays in focus. And of course, use the fastest possible shutter speed, but I am sure you know that already.

In any case, those kind of shots are always a challenge, especially with fast fluttering species such as this one or hummingbirds. After all you just got to keep trying and hope to get lucky. Kinda like with the ladies.

Even with my DSLR which features an optical viewfinder and tracking focus, I have blown many such shots.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:27 PM   #6
Administrator

That one was at 1/1000 second, f/2.8 and ISO 80.

According to the specs, the camera is capable of shutter speeds up to 1/2000 second.

But, some models do have a quirk or two with how it works. If you can't set it that fast using Tv (Shutter Priority) mode and bumping up the ISO speed for proper exposure, then there may be another mode that lets it go that fast.

Once you can figure out how to get it to 1/2000, that should be fast enough.

If not, there's a flash option...

You'd need to use an aperture/shutter speed combination that did not let enough ambient light into the photo to expose the subject. Then, use a strobe with a relatively short flash duration to freeze the action. The camera's strobe may or may not be fast enough.

For example, my Sunpak 333 Auto has a flash duration that varies from 1/1200 second to 1/20,000 second, depending on the power level.

As long as the subject was only exposed during the flash burst (ambient light not contributing enough to expose the subject by itself), the flash itself would have the impact of freezing the action at shorter flash durations.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:02 AM   #7

Thank you all for your valid suggestions. Obviously my prob is shutter speed. The weather has been drab and I am pushing the cam even to get ISO 1000. The pic posted was taken pre focused as he flew through my sights and it still blurred. I have tried on board flash and still blur. I dont know if the Sun 383 would be an improvment or not but I will try. Hopfully it will snow and that should help, along with some sun, to get higher ISO. At the rate Iam feeding these guys they should fatten up and maybe that will slow them down. Here is one loading up.
Attached Images

Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:10 AM   #8
Administrator

dwssas wrote:
Quote:
Thank you all for your valid suggestions. Obviously my prob is shutter speed. The weather has been drab and I am pushing the cam even to get ISO 1000.
I think you mean shutter speed versus ISO speed. ;-)

You were shooting at ISO 80 at 1/1000 second and f/2.8. f/2.8 is the widest your aperture can go. So, to get faster shutter speeds in the same lighting (while maintaining the same image brightness), you'd need to increase your ISO speed. Each time you double the ISO speed, a camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same lighting and aperture. Try increasing your ISO speed (which will mean increased noise) and see if you can get faster shutter speeds. I don't know if you're restricted to 1/1000 second in any of the modes or not.

See if you can set it to 1/2000 second using Shutter Priority Mode with a higher ISO speed so that you get properly exposed photos (it would need to be at ISO 160 in order to get a properly exposed image at 1/2000 second and f/2.8 in the same lighting as the photo you posted earlier in the thread). If it won't let you set it to a faster shutter speed, check your manual. Faster shutter speeds may only be available in some modes with some cameras.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:28 AM   #9

Nice shot on the feeder. We don't have Chickadee's here but do have a very fast and fluttery little bird that I have been trying for months to get, in flight. It ain't easy!..............................Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 2:40 PM   #10

Jim C - Thanks for your reply. You are correct. I meant shutter speed of 1000. My problem being that under the current lighting available I am really pressing the camera. At this shutter speed when I pre-focus the LCD goes almost completely black nd I am somewhat guessing as to what im looking at. Without flash I would a completely black picture. I have posted some more pics today some at Shutter 1300 and a more powerful flash. Any tips are most appreciated.