Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:51 PM   #21

Good morning to you Ronny. I will be returning one of the two teleconverts with in 14 days. I am going to find out which I like best. It was their idea not mine. Good idea I think.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
Hope you enjoy your new camera,

the zoom capacity is really impressive (don't know if you can stack the teleconverters) but 1.4 x 2.0 x (1.5 crop factor) x 500mm = 2100mm :? as 35mm equivallent or in pana style a 60x zoom

hope to see some shots when it arrives - Ronny
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:21 PM   #22

Should be a good choice Roger - I have also been researching DSLR specs for a long time (don't have much money to spend so I want to make sure I buy something I will be happy with...), and have decided that the K10D is probably the way to go.

As soon as they are in the local stores and I get to trial one, I also expect to be ordering the Pentax (as long as the image quality is suitably high, and most early reviews imply it is...)

I will also be keeping my FZ20 - and I expect it to still outperform any DSLR in various areas, eg combining portability with zoom range, and still see a fair bit of use - but am very keen to get something that addresses the main problems I have with the FZs (ie sensor noise and lack of a decent viewfinder).

Cheers,
DC
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:45 PM   #23

thehotel wrote:
Quote:
Good morning to you Ronny. I will be returning one of the two teleconverts with in 14 days. I am going to find out which I like best. It was their idea not mine. Good idea I think.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Roger,

i think you may find that you keep the 1.4x and return the 2x... the 1.4 will still give you something close to twice the "reach" of your FZ30, and won't cost you as much in brightness - a definite factor if you shoot a lot in low light like dawn or dusk. also, as a rule, 1.4x converters seem to be a bit sharper and degrade the image a bit less than their 2x cousins. i certainly wouldn't recommend stacking them. that'd cost you 3 full stops of light, and would dramatically increase the likelihood of image degradation, especially around the edges - to say nothing of making even the slightest movement of the lens seem like an earthquake.

Rocky

PS - after much discussion and some hemming an' hawing, i've ordered a 1.4x converter for my Canon. with my 80-400, and the 1.6x crop, that'll giveme the rough equivalent of a 900mm lens... over twice the pull of my FZ20. while i have no illusions that even a 900mm lens will be "enough" for everything i want to shoot(a pesky local Belted Kingfisher comes to mind!), it will bump up my reach by 40%, and will let me get full frame shots i would have had to crop before. and as a rule, if it's too far away for that set-up, i cansimply get closer. and to think - back in the "old" days when i was shooting my ME Super, i thought 300mm was a long lens! :lol:
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 6:29 AM   #24

As all of the others have said, congratulations and also like they have said, DO NOT LEAVE US!!! and I for one would luv to see postings from your new camera on this forum so we can see what you do with your new toys!!!!:|
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:32 AM   #25

TWR-

Way to go, Boss... You're now getting into some serious glass/digi that, based on your FZ30 results, will pay off - bigtime.

I'll be very interested in how your Bigma w/a stabilized body pays off. I've had some success with hand holding my Bigma on my D50, thus far. I think that you'll find the Bigma is a great, single all-around lens for most circumstances. A couple of suggestions to consider for the Bigma on a Monopod/tripod that I'm looking into are:

A Bogen Gimbal for ~$175 -- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

A review on its use:

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...393/393_1.html

But, then, being a 'tinkerer', I'm thinking of attempting making my own version to try out first...

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=58223

While it will add to the weight, the gimbal mount appears to offer some good support and latitude for better panning/tracking stability...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:09 PM   #26

Hi David, From the research and all the questions I have asked I decided it was about the best bang for the bucks it costs. Like you my Panasonic will be with me and I expect I will use it a lot.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

David C wrote:
Quote:
Should be a good choice Roger - I have also been researching DSLR specs for a long time (don't have much money to spend so I want to make sure I buy something I will be happy with...), and have decided that the K10D is probably the way to go.

As soon as they are in the local stores and I get to trial one, I also expect to be ordering the Pentax (as long as the image quality is suitably high, and most early reviews imply it is...)

I will also be keeping my FZ20 - and I expect it to still outperform any DSLR in various areas, eg combining portability with zoom range, and still see a fair bit of use - but am very keen to get something that addresses the main problems I have with the FZs (ie sensor noise and lack of a decent viewfinder).

Cheers,
DC
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:11 PM   #27

Evening squirl033, What you say makes sense and I would bet that is how it will turn out.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
thehotel wrote:
Quote:

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Roger,

i think you may find that you keep the 1.4x and return the 2x... the 1.4 will still give you something close to twice the "reach" of your FZ30, and won't cost you as much in brightness - a definite factor if you shoot a lot in low light like dawn or dusk. also, as a rule, 1.4x converters seem to be a bit sharper and degrade the image a bit less than their 2x cousins. i certainly wouldn't recommend stacking them. that'd cost you 3 full stops of light, and would dramatically increase the likelihood of image degradation, especially around the edges - to say nothing of making even the slightest movement of the lens seem like an earthquake.

Rocky

PS - after much discussion and some hemming an' hawing, i've ordered a 1.4x converter for my Canon. with my 80-400, and the 1.6x crop, that'll giveme the rough equivalent of a 900mm lens... over twice the pull of my FZ20. while i have no illusions that even a 900mm lens will be "enough" for everything i want to shoot (a pesky local Belted Kingfisher comes to mind!), it will bump up my reach by 40%, and will let me get full frame shots i would have had to crop before. and as a rule, if it's too far away for that set-up, i cansimply get closer. and to think - back in the "old" days when i was shooting my ME Super, i thought 300mm was a long lens! :lol:
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:14 PM   #28

Hi annie57, I probably will post a few with the new outfit but I am not giving up my FZ30 so I know those will be posted here. I will practice some before I post any of the new camera photos. I am willing to bet the first bunch or two or three won't be any good at all.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
As all of the others have said, congratulations and also like they have said, DO NOT LEAVE US!!! and I for one would luv to see postings from your new camera on this forum so we can see what you do with your new toys!!!!:|
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:15 PM   #29

Hi to Ya telecorder, I really like that new toy you pointed out thank you.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Telecorder wrote:

Quote:
TWR-

Way to go, Boss... You're now getting into some serious glass/digi that, based on your FZ30 results, will pay off - bigtime.

I'll be very interested in how your Bigma w/a stabilized body pays off. I've had some success with hand holding my Bigma on my D50, thus far. I think that you'll find the Bigma is a great, single all-around lens for most circumstances. A couple of suggestions to consider for the Bigma on a Monopod/tripod that I'm looking into are:

A Bogen Gimbal for ~$175 -- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

A review on its use:

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...393/393_1.html

But, then, being a 'tinkerer', I'm thinking of attempting making my own version to try out first...

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=58223

While it will add to the weight, the gimbal mount appears to offer some good support and latitude for better panning/tracking stability...
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:13 PM   #30

Roger,

here's a couple of otheroptions for gimbal heads. a bit more expensive than the Bogen, but i know several folks that use this type, and they like the open design that doesn't wrap around the camera and makes mounting/unmounting a bit easier. these are very rugged and work really well forbirds...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tripod-Gimbal-mo...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kirk-King-Cobra-...QQcmdZViewItem

Rocky
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote