Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:37 PM   #41

Eveining genece, I hope all is well with you and yours. I am guessing you are correct about I will end up with better and faster glass. I needed to come up with two to learn with so I can decide what iit is that will do the best for what I do.

I am going to try the Gimble mount and two teleconverts and then send back what I don't like. I told the guy that I didn't know anything about what I really wanted or needed and he suggested I try them and I have 14 days to decide.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7

genece wrote:

Quote:
That camera....would be very high on my list if I did not already have an investment in Nikon Glass....

I think you will be happy but if I read you correct and you are trying to improve on the FZ30 quality you may find a need for better/faster glass.

Also it may have been just me but I tried one of those gimbal mounts and I am glad B&H has a liberal return policy....I did not find it to be very solid at all....ease of tracking and positioning,was fine but vibration was not. Of course with really long lenses I am not sure there is a perfect tripod and head.

After you are familiar with the camera,be sure and let us know how you find the stabilization.

Congratulations!
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:39 PM   #42

Thanks squirl033 I am going to try the Gimble and see if I like it and if I don't I will find one of these.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Roger,

here's a couple of otheroptions for gimbal heads. a bit more expensive than the Bogen, but i know several folks that use this type, and they like the open design that doesn't wrap around the camera and makes mounting/unmounting a bit easier. these are very rugged and work really well forbirds...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tripod-Gimbal-mo...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kirk-King-Cobra-...QQcmdZViewItem

Rocky
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:42 PM   #43

Congratulations Roger on your choice of the K10d! I think you've picked a fine camera to start out in the DSLR world. Now, hopefully you won't end up with LBA (lens buyer addiction), that seems to infect many Pentax dslr users. I myself have been a victim of this disease, and have just recently rehabilitated myself. But seriously, you've made a good choice with all the features the k10d has to offer. The stablization really does work. I had the k100d, and it was quite an eye opener for steadying those handheld slower shutter speed shots. I've sold the k100d, and am also waiting patiently for my k10d to arrive. On the subject of glass, you might find the Bigma a little soft at the long end. I've viewed many photo samples with this lens, and finally decided not to purchase one. I owned a couple of Sigmas when I first started using my dslr, and soon realized that to really get the detail and sharpness, the use of more high end glass is a plus for image quality. I bought last spring, a 300mm Pentax prime for birding, and when I bought it, I thought I was nuts, but after using it for a lot of shooting, I realize it was the best purchase that I've made. A good quality prime lens is such an asset, as you can shoot wide open (aperture), and suffer no ca's, softness and still maintain excellent contrast and colour. Can't say enough about them. And I also use a Tamron 1.4 tc, but when I do, IQ does suffer a bit, and my FA*300 f4.5 turns into a f/6.3 which is getting a little slow. Luckily, the Pentax has the SR, and you can still shoot at a reasonably low ISO in good light, and still get decent results. Have fun with your new camera. I know you'll appreciate the assets of using a dslr, particulary when the light is difficult. Also the faster AF you'll really enjoy too. See you on the Pentax forum....cheers........Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:45 PM   #44

Rainer, I really don't know I have a lot of extras ordered and I asked them to hold everything and ship it all together. He said OK and it should ship after the middle of December. Me and my FZ30 are pretty much booked until the end of December so I won't have any time to play with the new toys until then anyway.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

rduve wrote:

Quote:
I also love my Minolta 50mm 1.7 lens. It works wonders in low lighting. But at f5.6 the difference gets minorcompared to my Tamron. My original point only was though that one doesn't have to spend thousands of dollars to get the same versatility of the FZ30 in a DSLR.

When will your Pentax arrive, Roger?

Rainer
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:10 PM   #45

Thanks Don, You are right about me having fun with the new toys. I am sure I am going to enjoy the challenge of learning this new camera.

I really need to keep it down to two lenses with all the back country I do and after a few months of learning I will probably end up changing lenses but then I will know more about what it is I need.

I am sure after a lot of trial and error I will end up getting a few keepers but that is OK with me how ever long it takes is how long it will be.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Congratulations Roger on your choice of the K10d! I think you've picked a fine camera to start out in the DSLR world. Now, hopefully you won't end up with LBA (lens buyer addiction), that seems to infect many Pentax dslr users. I myself have been a victim of this disease, and have just recently rehabilitated myself. But seriously, you've made a good choice with all the features the k10d has to offer. The stablization really does work. I had the k100d, and it was quite an eye opener for steadying those handheld slower shutter speed shots. I've sold the k100d, and am also waiting patiently for my k10d to arrive. On the subject of glass, you might find the Bigma a little soft at the long end. I've viewed many photo samples with this lens, and finally decided not to purchase one. I owned a couple of Sigmas when I first started using my dslr, and soon realized that to really get the detail and sharpness, the use of more high end glass is a plus for image quality. I bought last spring, a 300mm Pentax prime for birding, and when I bought it, I thought I was nuts, but after using it for a lot of shooting, I realize it was the best purchase that I've made. A good quality prime lens is such an asset, as you can shoot wide open (aperture), and suffer no ca's, softness and still maintain excellent contrast and colour. Can't say enough about them. And I also use a Tamron 1.4 tc, but when I do, IQ does suffer a bit, and my FA*300 f4.5 turns into a f/6.3 which is getting a little slow. Luckily, the Pentax has the SR, and you can still shoot at a reasonably low ISO in good light, and still get decent results. Have fun with your new camera. I know you'll appreciate the assets of using a dslr, particulary when the light is difficult. Also the faster AF you'll really enjoy too. See you on the Pentax forum....cheers........Don.