Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:15 PM   #1

New Camera & Lenses

After a few months of research and asking lots of questions and with advice from many of the folks here I am placing my order tomorrow.

Pentax K10D - Body only with the battery grip

Walk around lens - Tamron AF 28-300mm

Zoom lens - Sigma 50-500mm
Sigma teleconverter's 1.4 and 2

To everybody that has helped me a big THANK YOU

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:46 PM   #2

Sounds like a great camera with some very nice lens. Hope we still get to see some wildlife photos.

P.S. Know that someone has recently received a camera just like this. Not sure about the lens.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 5:23 PM   #3

sounds like a pretty good set-up there, Roger... quite a lot of overlap between your Tamron and Sigma lenses, but that could be an advantage, in that you might not need to swap lenses as often! hope that works out well for you!

if i recallright, the K10D is internally stabilized, which would be good, since neither of the lenses you've picked have stabilization. i'd be careful using converters with the Bigma, though... i know on Canons, the AF won't work with maximum apertures smaller than f6.3.at full zoom, the Bigma is f6.3, and you lose a stop with the 1.4x TC (2 stops with the 2x), which puts you over the threshold,andyouhave to use manual focus all the time. i don't know if that's the case with the K10D or not, but it's something to look into... also, remember that even the 1.4x will turn that into a 70-700mm lens, and with the K10D's1.5x crop factor, that 700mm becomes 1050mm.with the 2x, that Bigma will turn into the equivalent of a 150-1500mm lens... great for counting the whiskers on coyotes at200 yards, but impossible to shoot handheld, even with image stabilization! hopefully you have a good, lightweight tripod an a remote shutter release...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 5:46 PM   #4

Hi Roger

The K10D looks to be a pretty impressive camera ( a lot of Oly E1 owners have it on their wish list if Olympus doesn't come up with the goods with an E3) and for the price its going to be a winner for Pentax. Don;t know too much about the glass itself but you seem to have range covered. Post some pics as soon as you get a chance!

Well done mate!

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:00 PM   #5

Hope you enjoy it, I have been eyeing the K10D myself, it looks like a nice one. I have seen some great shots from the bigma but as Rocky says, that's a mighty big lens for hand holding especially with a TC. Those critters had better watch out now cause there won't be any where to hide from you.:-)
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:24 PM   #6

Don't leave us!.....Don't leave us!
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:19 PM   #7

Evening Jerry, If I can get thru the 200 plus page manual and then all the trial and error I think it will be fun. I am going to find out if stubborness wins the battle. While I am trying to learn I will have my FZ30 with me for photos.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like a great camera with some very nice lens. Hope we still get to see some wildlife photos.

P.S. Know that someone has recently received a camera just like this. Not sure about the lens.

Jerry
Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:23 PM   #8

Evening MR. SQUIRL033, I am hoping the overlap will let me not have to change lenses so often.

Remote shutter release and a tripod and a monopod are part of my order.

A special THANK YOU for all the help you have given me.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

squirl033 wrote:

Quote:
sounds like a pretty good set-up there, Roger... quite a lot of overlap between your Tamron and Sigma lenses, but that could be an advantage, in that you might not need to swap lenses as often! hope that works out well for you!

if i recallright, the K10D is internally stabilized, which would be good, since neither of the lenses you've picked have stabilization. i'd be careful using converters with the Bigma, though... i know on Canons, the AF won't work with maximum apertures smaller than f6.3.at full zoom, the Bigma is f6.3, and you lose a stop with the 1.4x TC (2 stops with the 2x), which puts you over the threshold,andyouhave to use manual focus all the time. i don't know if that's the case with the K10D or not, but it's something to look into... also, remember that even the 1.4x will turn that into a 70-700mm lens, and with the K10D's1.5x crop factor, that 700mm becomes 1050mm.with the 2x, that Bigma will turn into the equivalent of a 150-1500mm lens... great for counting the whiskers on coyotes at200 yards, but impossible to shoot handheld, even with image stabilization! hopefully you have a good, lightweight tripod an a remote shutter release...

Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:25 PM   #9

Hi HarjTT, I am sure it will be a while with this new camera before I get anything good enough to post.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roger

The K10D looks to be a pretty impressive camera ( a lot of Oly E1 owners have it on their wish list if Olympus doesn't come up with the goods with an E3) and for the price its going to be a winner for Pentax. Don;t know too much about the glass itself but you seem to have range covered. Post some pics as soon as you get a chance!

Well done mate!

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:27 PM   #10

Mr tcook, good evening to you. I have a remote and a tripod and a monopod on the order. More new things to learn to use. This will be like a kid again me having to learn all this stuff.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

tcook wrote:
Quote:
Hope you enjoy it, I have been eyeing the K10D myself, it looks like a nice one. I have seen some great shots from the bigma but as Rocky says, that's a mighty big lens for hand holding especially with a TC. Those critters had better watch out now cause there won't be any where to hide from you.:-)