Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:20 AM   #1

As a freelance writer, I am sometimes called upon to take a photo now and then whena real photographer can't make it. I have had the problem of not being able to shoot in TIFF format, which is what most editors seem to want. The FZ7 looks like a good and relatively inexpensive way to go for what I need. The 12x zoom could be useful too. Anyone with experience in this area? Should I just get a DSLR and be done with it? I don't really want to pack around a bunch of photographic gear if I don't need it. Thanks.
2bitwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:11 AM   #2

Although I love my fz5 and think no worse about the fz7, I 'm not shure the fz7 will be a good choise, nor any other pana. It depends on the quality of the image your editor will want, but in low lighting this quality (imho) will not be enough.

Again (imho) the pana is then even the best point and shoot you can get so ... a dslr might be what you need.

If you're really just starting I would take a look at the K100d of Pentax. The price with kit lens is about 700$, 6 MP, 3200 iso (workable to 1600) , and the shake reduction is real nice.
The sony a100 also has shake reduction,10MP, 1600iso (workable to 800 but the is much noisier.)
Oh yes the Pentax K10d, around 1000$, shake reduction 1600iso (but because of no real reviews not knowing if this is complete workable) (ps the one I'm upgrading to)

I only take those 3 camera's out because they are the only one's with shake reduction in the body, and after using a Pana I wouldn't have any without it.

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:41 AM   #3

you didn't mention what sort of photography you might be required to do, and that can make a big difference. what kind of subjects? what lighting? indoors or out?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:52 PM   #4

Most of the shots I need to take are pretty much under my control as far as set-up is concerned : head shots, outdoors in good light, etc. nothing tricky. That said, it may be that I am limiting myself to those situations by choosing a camera that will not perform well at the outer limits. Keeping in mind that TIFF format is a requirement, how about the Oly E-500? Great input and I thank youall for helping me think this through.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:49 PM   #5

2bitwriter wrote:
Quote:
Most of the shots I need to take are pretty much under my control as far as set-up is concerned : head shots, outdoors in good light, etc. nothing tricky.
Outdoors in good light will be no problem with the fz7, whichcan shoot in TIFF. As already indicated, low light may present a problem. Significant zoom will be fairly useless in low light -zoom needs more light and the flash is not strong enough to go the distance. If you can control the set-up and get close enough where zoom is not required, you may be okay with or w/o flash. Also, the fz7 has no flash hotshoe. But the small size of the fz7 and it's outdoor lighting condition capabilities make it a great choice.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 8:35 AM   #6

2bitwriter wrote:
Quote:
Most of the shots I need to take are pretty much under my control as far as set-up is concerned : head shots, outdoors in good light, etc. nothing tricky. That said, it may be that I am limiting myself to those situations by choosing a camera that will not perform well at the outer limits. ...
From your comments the first thing that jumped to mind was newspaper articles. If that is the case then absolutely you will have enough quality with the FZ7. I have found that I can get pretty good results in lower light situations using spot metering and a monopod. For the price that the FZ7 is going for why not just give it a try? If it's not good enough then ebay, sell to a friend, family members, etc. The FZ7 has been a great camera for me. There are a good number of pics posted in this forum and on this site taken with the FZ7. Search and look them over, that may help you decide.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 1:05 PM   #7

Thanks for your comments Brett. Yes, newspapers are mostly where my work ends up. I should have included that since newsprint does not reproduce images as sharply as other media. I'm leaning towards your suggestion of getting Fz7 to check out it's capabilities. I like the portability,long zoom, TIFF, speed --- and price! From what I've seen on this and other sites, the shots taken right out of the camera, in many instances, look great. Any writersout there with newspaper experience working with one? I appreciate all the thoughtful comments.

Old Nov 29, 2006, 1:20 PM   #8

Bought mine a little over a month ago and can say that every time I use it I've gotten some great shots. The FZ7 has been amazing me since I first charged the battery. It can be slightly challenged in darkness however with a bit of adjusting of the cameras settings I've not been disappointed. For the price it's a great digicam.
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:31 AM   #9

Thanks for all the opinions and helpful replies. After checking outcameras in a store here in California, and reading the reviews/forums I think I'm headed for the FZ30 instead. I like the twist/flip LCD screen, TIFF mode , hot shoe and the bigger body. Any writers out there working with this equipment? I've seen some great shots from the FZ30 posted on this site. It just might do the job.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 11:33 AM   #10

I write for Sporting Clays magazine. I use an FZ5 for all of my outdoor work.

Here's a link to an article I wrote: http://www.ysr-racer.com/scans/wi_state.pdf

When outdoors I keep the WB on "cloudy" and the exp at + 1/3.

ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote