Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 3, 2006, 3:16 PM   #1

Canadian Jay or Grey Jay
Attached Images

dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2006, 3:19 PM   #2

A near collision.
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2006, 3:24 PM   #3

Female Woodpecker.
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2006, 4:12 PM   #4

Wow, dwssas just saw these and the others you posted - you're getting some great shots - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 4:47 PM   #5

All of the shots you have posted over the last couple of days are amazing. I can only shoot stuff that stays still long enough for me to get good and ready. Thanks for sharing
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:20 PM   #6

Incredible shots! How ever do you manage to catch such action? Please keep posting.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 6:20 PM   #7

Geez, I know you said you discard a lot of blank photos, but the results are sure worth the effort. I have tried prefocusing in manual, but still get blurred images, either they are moving too fast, shutter speed to slow, or they were out of focus range.

Beautiful, and well done.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 6:22 PM   #8

I said you could not stop now that you got the hang of it. Super shots you got there.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 6:38 PM   #9

Bayourebel - In poor lighting conditions go to shutter mode and set at 1/800 or 1/1000. Use your sun 383 at the second lowest setting for a distance of 6 -7 feet from the subject. Zoom to whatever works ie also you to capture. Experement. No major adjustments are necessary from these basics. The camera, mine the FZ-20, tells me the pic will not turn out. Ignore that as the flash will take care of that. Once you pre-focus the LCD will be pretty useless but you can still figure out where to re-position the cam to the area where the subject may appear so that it will come into your pre-focused area. Zoom as much as you can as a chickadee is very small, or similar bird, and the crop necessary does not leave much resolution for anything over a 4X6. If you have a 30 or a 50 this would help bigtime. I have just re-read my post and am not sure if what im trying to explain is clear. Almost forgot - If you have a feeder and pre-focus I found many OOF shots happened because the subject was about 12-16 inches from my focus area. Focus on anything 12-16 inches further away then re-position the cam so that when you snap the shutter the focus will be where the bird is in flight, not sitting on the feeder edge. This is sounding more confusing every time I add more info.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 7:49 PM   #10

Clear as swamp mud. Just kidding. I understand your explanation. I don't have the Sunpak yet, but do have a Cannon Speedlite from an old Canon A-1. Tried it on my FZ30 hot shoe and it does fire. I will start trying to use it when doing as you suggest. You didn't say, but are these tripod or handheld? At almost 64, I am not quite as steady as I once was. :-):roll::O

Thanks for taking the time to explain and for sharing your wonderful photos.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote