Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:29 PM   #1

Guardians:
Attached Images

WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:30 PM   #2

Disorder:
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:31 PM   #3

Discipline:
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:37 PM   #4

Having trouble with blown highlights in this type of shot. Making sure Contrast is set to low helps. Underexposure and restoration in PP seems to lead to more noise. Any advice or comments out there? Thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:42 PM   #5

Hi WindRowe,

Dont have the fz50 so can't help with the highlights,,,but sure enjoyed your pictures. How about setting exposure back a bit...donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 6:40 PM   #6

I have the same trouble at times and sometimes there is nothing one can do other than to shoot two shots at different exposures and layer them. I have never done that so I don't know haw difficult it is. What I try to do is meter the light somewhere in between the light and dark as a compromise and then try to adjust in PP.
I hope you don't mind but I took one of your shots and tried a little PP on it. I don't know if it improved it or not. I used curves, highlight-mid-tones-shadows, hue and saturation and sharpening.
Attached Images

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 7:06 PM   #7

High contrast will get ya every time. One option is to set the camera to spot metering and then metre on somthing that gives you a reasonable result in both shadows and highlights. Sometimes that is the highlight area, sometimes that is the somewhere in the mid tones and sometimes that is in the shadows depending on what you want to achieve. always switch on the option that blinks with the blown highlights (can't remember what its called), If it is a huge area blinking I know I am unlikely to get a good result, if it is a relatively small area then I may be able to live with it. I then use the exposure compensation to click down a little further and take another shot.

The bottom line is that our eyes have a much greater dynamic range than our cameras. The pany sensor being relatively small is probably also not as great as some of the large SLR sensors in this area.

By the way I do not think the highlights in your shots are too bad at all.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:44 PM   #8

Thanks tcook and rafinmelb. The PP you tried certainly made an improvement. I clearly need to get something more sophisticated than the PP that comes with iphoto. I leave the highlight feature permanently on and use autobracket a lot - settting the exposure comp to -1/3 and then autobracket to +/- 1/3 to give an overall range of 0 to -2/3. This reduces blown highlights, but tends to introduce more noise when I subsequently increase the exposure in iphoto. With better PP software, I presume I could fix that too. I noted both of your advice about metering and will work on it. Thanks again for your help.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:34 AM   #9

Nice post Robin but they do look a little out of focus to me. It may be my monitor. The one Ted worked on looks better though.

I'm having the same trouble with highlights as you are with my V-LUX. Seems, no matter what I do I have to underexpose so much I have to selectively lighten the foregroung in some shots. It never looks quite right...............Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote