Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 3, 2006, 11:52 PM   #1

I have had my FZ10 for years now, almost since it came out in the US, without a problem. Today, my daughter was taking pictures and the screen went fuzzy. She turned it off and back on, only to find that the screen stayed black and the lens stayed in. The power light comes on, but doesn't turn off when the powerswitch is turned off. I removed the battery and tried again, but with the same result. The setting of the rotary selector doesn't make a difference. The light comes on, but nothing else; no lens, no display, no sounds. I removed the memory card, recharged the battery, kept the camera off for hours and tried again. Same results.

So I now have a very intriguing and expensive paper-weight. Has anyone seen this behaviour? Is there a way to do a hard-reset or something of the kind?

Any help would be appreciated.
de_bengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2006, 12:11 AM   #2

Looks like a major melt down, probably a deadmotherboard. Repair could cost you close to what a new camera would cost.
jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:31 AM   #3

I have seen this before and even a fix .....(I thinkits one of two fuses)

But I can not find the thread where someone showed in detail how to get to the fuse..

If I remember....besides showing how to take the camera apart ...he suggested most people may want to have a camera repair shop do the repair....he said it did not need to go to Panasonic.

Of course its possible something else went wrong to blow the fuse.....but that was not so in his case.

I was sure I bookmarked those instructions but I do not have them now...perhaps the photos were removed and I deleted the post.....I am not sure
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:41 PM   #4

That sounds a lot more hopeful than the burned-out motherboard. Were these surface-mounted fuses, or ones you can replace without soldering? There were some posts on dpreviews about the fz30 having surface mounted ones.
I tried looking, but I'm stumped as to how to remove the back panel. It seems to be attached at the flash shoe, but nothing obvious as to how it is. Does anyone know?
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:13 AM   #5

I do not want to lead you down a path to nowhere but I believe they were surface mounted and I think that the screw to start the disassembly is under the hotshoe.....but I am not possitive.......something about there is a plate that slides off the shoe them 2 screws to remove the shoe and then another screw.....but I am not certain I remember correctly.

I think I decided if that happened to my camera ...there are a few old type camera repair people around here that I would have do the repair.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:07 AM   #6

You might want to check this out and see if it provides the information you need: http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...0%20FZ-10.html

I've never downloaded from this site so I can't vouch for its usefulness.

drobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:34 PM   #7

Quote:
I think I decided if that happened to my camera ...there are a few old type camera repair people around here that I would have do the repair.
Anyone you can recommend?
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:48 PM   #8

Quote:
You might want to check this out and see if it provides the information you need
Thank you so much. That file contains all the info you would need to disassemble. Too bad it doesn't have any info on the fuses themselves. It just states that the main board should be replaced as a unit (assuming that the fuses are on the main board).