Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 4, 2006, 1:59 PM   #1

On a resent post RiaRia (Suzi) mentioned that she lived in Utopia,Tx and the fact that Hwy 357 is listed in Texas monthly magazine as the most senic route in Texas. I contacted her and with her help, decided to go down last week and give my V-LUX a good test. Thanks, Suzi.

I had problems with exposure though. The first day it was partly to mostly cloudy and so brightthat no matter what I did I had to under expose so mush in order to keep the clouds from burning out that I had to lighten the foreground in all the photos with sky in them.

On the second day it was completely cloudy and even with the Polorizer lens I had to adjust the saturation to bring out the colors. I'm not satisfied withhaving to fix these photos though. I feel that if I were a better photographer I would not have had to. Any suggestions from you would be appreciated. More and full size photos can be seen at http://dsr1.zoto.com/galleries The changes I mentioned are the only thing done to these photos including, no NR. Hope you enjoy.

d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2006, 3:14 PM   #2

Interesting countryside for photographing, the last two are my favorites.
I do not feel your skills as a photographer is why the photos need PP. Certainly the most skillful photographer can coax more out of the camera but I doubt it you will find many professional photographers that do not have the best PP software available. That's why Photo Shop is so expensive. Myself I have to PP almost all shots from both my FZ-50 and DSLR. While many shots are good enough right out of the camera I don't think the full potential of the shots can be realized without some PP. Sometimes I might get a little to carried away with PP but to me it is all a part of the fun of Digital Photography.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 4:40 PM   #3

Like these quite a bit. Like you I sometimes struggle with proper exposue on bright days. I have found that a polarising filter sometimes helps.

I really like your second last shot. There is a gentle, evening, peace about it that is very appealing. Of course it may have been morning, but my guess is evening.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:40 PM   #4

Thanks for looking and commenting, Ted and rafinmelb. You'r right Ted. It is very easy to over do it when post processing. I have to watch myself while I am into it.

Rafinmelb, I had my polorizer filter on but it was so bright, the clouds were almost blown out before I even started. That was afternoon sun and the sunset was the next day while a cold front was coming in.

Don
Old Dec 4, 2006, 7:35 PM   #5

Don, Ilike the last three a lot, but I also like the others. Actually, I find that with too much processing, the photo is not really what I saw. So there is to me a fine line.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:49 PM   #6

A little photoshop can be a positive thing. If you do in adobe what a photographer would do in a darkroom you can have a great picture and satisfy your conscience. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:49 PM   #7

Thanks for your comments Jerry & Donna. I was just disapointed that I had so much trouble with the exposure.

Don