Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:08 PM   #1

I just received a TZ1. I took it to a (well lit) indoor track meet and had difficulty getting pictures. There was a 5 second delay. I have it set in sports mode. What am I doing wrong?
dmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:44 PM   #2

I just tried my TZ1 in the sports mode and there was no delay at all. It was indoors with just room lighting. Sorry I can't help.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:15 AM   #3

Are there any other settings I should check that may be causing the problem?
dmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:32 AM   #4

Are you using the continuous shooting made? You can hardlymiss a good shot using that.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:33 AM   #5

dmack wrote:
Quote:
I just received a TZ1. I took it to a (well lit) indoor track meet and had difficulty getting pictures.* There was a 5 second delay.* I have it set in sports mode.* What am I doing wrong?
i have an fz20, and to be honest, i've never tried the various pre-programmed shooting modes. but i do have a nephew and two nieces that i've taken hundreds of pictures of playing volleyball and basketball. and everything i've learned, i got from posters here. indoor sporting events are by far and away the greatest challenge for a digital (non-slr) camera. but with a little patience, and two years of practice, i have two friends with very expensive dslr's, and my pics stack up very well with theirs.

first of all, i don't know if the tz1 has manual controls, but set the camera for shutter priority. depending on the lighting, i will vary the speed from 1/80th to 1/100th of a second. also set the iso to 200. again, depending on the lighting, sometimes i'll get some pretty bad noise in dark wall mats or dark clothing. that's always easy enough to take care of with paint shop pro photo xi, but there are several very effective free noise removal tools (sorry i can't think of any off the top of my head. i haven't used any since i purchased pspx last year).

the pictures out of the camera will be somewhat dark, but that can be easily taken care of with google's picasa2 (free download). most of the time i can hit a photo with auto contrast, and viola! (sic), perfect picture. and sometimes a little auto color is needed to restore realistic coloring. preferences may vary.

hope this helps. i know what frustration is when i first started taking indoor pics two years ago. but trust me, you'll get a lot better quickly. and keep reading these forums, they're fantastic.
tafugate is offline   Reply With Quote