Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:33 PM   #1

:?I have the FZ-20Lately many of my pics have been ruined. They look like they've been split in half, discolored or sometimes appear to be splits of two different pictures!

I called Panasonic and they said it was probably my memory card or card reader. I called the card reader mfg and they of course blamed the camera.

It sometimes only happens every 50 pics or so, but sometimes it's 5 out of ten or more. I'm afraid to use the camera.

Can anyone tell me what's going on?

I attached a sample pic.

Attached Files
File Type: zip sample.zip (167.4 KB, 153 views)
STLGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:13 PM   #2

Sounds like a corrupted memory card. Are the same problems showing up on other cards? Try formatting the card in-camera (not in computer).
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:19 PM   #3

Looks pretty much like a problem with the camera's electronics
(ie, something wrong with the electronics associated with either
the scan functionality or the processing functionality).

You might try some experiments to isolate components (eg, put the memory card in the
refrigerator to cool it then try it, then heat it with a hair dryer & try it; cool the camera in the refrigerator & try it, etc. as electronics is notorious for being temperature sensitive).

Otherwise recommend replacing the camera's main board.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:50 PM   #4

Ugh! I tried narrowing it down using different memory cards, bypassing the card reader and connecting the usb directly to the computer etc. which is why I think it's the camera itself.

Recommendations on how to handle?

I have no idea what to expect as far as a repair price. Is it even worth it? Would I send it back to Panasonic or somewhere else? This should not happen to a $500-600 camera (at the time)just over a year old!
STLGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:41 AM   #5

What I've seen is that the repair cost typically ranges between $150 & $250.

Recommend replacing the unit with new locally purchased one after you are convinced that the camera is the problem. Sending a unit in for repair is not necessarily an air tight solution (eg, you may be sent a refurbished unit as replacement with it having different firmware & it may not perform to your satisfaction - if you are buying a new unit from a local store usually there is a two week return policy).

sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:03 AM   #6

If the camera is only a year old, I would call Pana back and see what they can do for you. Of course it depends on how many shots has been taken with the camera. Just tell them what you have done to eleminate the card as the culprit. I might be dreaming but I would think on a one year old camera they should at least try to help out. Don't make the guy mad but if he is unwilling or unable to work with you ask for a manager or someone else.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:15 AM   #7

Look in the setup menu and set the camera back to the factory default settings...this procedure can cure many ills.Another thing to try is to remove the battery (after turning the camera off)for a couple of hours or more, then replace thebattery. Good luck, and if you're able to resolve the problem yourself, please let us know what you did to effect the cure.
drobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:10 PM   #8

drobie wrote:
Quote:
Another thing to try is to remove the battery (after turning the camera off)for a couple of hours or more
A full reset (whichis recommended)is usually done byremoving the battery and leaving the camera ON overnight. For instance, this will take your file number back to 0. Leaving the camera in the off position without a battery will not effect the file number sequence.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:19 PM   #9

I am guessing that you tried a diferent SD card and it did not help? If not that is step one. Step two is to remove the battery after reseting the camera to it's original settings as suggested in the last post by drobie. If neither of these things work and you have had the camera for over the year it is covered by panasonic you might take it to a local camera shop (if you have one in your area) or send it in for an estimate and see what the repair company tells you price wise to decide if it is worth fixing or should be scrapped.
Did anything happen to the camera to cause this problem like getting wet or dropped or even jarred really hard ?
Best of luck on getting your camera working again.
KennJ is offline   Reply With Quote