Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2007, 8:43 AM   #11

tszcz wrote:
Quote:
I own a Panasonic FZ7 and have the same problems... i'm using it for PartyPics excessively ( http://www.studance.info/component/o.../?g2_itemId=30 , about 80% of the pictures in recent galleries )
The Problem with the useless AF assist lamp becomes much worse when your'e in a Dicotheque with blinking lights, they seem to confuse the system completely, and you won´t want to ask for a third photo if two are rubbish.

The workaround is that i use manual focus... you have to stay in wide angle position, but if you lock AF at about 2m the depth of field is big enough that every photo is perfectly sharp.

That way the camera becomes really fast... so the big minus in the first place can become a plus if you want to shoot snapshots. But changing to telephoto will make pictures become unsharp quite quickly... so the 12x zoom becomes a 2x...

I used a canon ixus before, that camera had much less problems focussing in poor light.

Hope that these informations will help you.

Thomas
That would be an excellent solution except that the FZ4 doesnt have manual focus.
DMCFZRichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:02 AM   #12

DMCFZRichie wrote:
Quote:
RKHIII- My original problem was in low light with the flash on, your pictures are without the flash. A tripod would fix your problem in short order, or the use of the 2s timer. Just pushing the capture button can cause the camera to shake more than normal, so the 2s timer can give you time to steady your hands for the shot. Or of course the tripod would take care of it all w/ the 2s timer.

I've found that these cameras are amazing for the price, but they do have their quirks
Great suggestion on the 2s timer...I use it quite often but still usually get blurry results. I'm 41 now...maybe I'm just getting old and shaky. : ) Maybe I have unrealistic low light expectations (especially w/ a zoom). Just seems like I was getting better results with my S1-IS (R.E.M. pic attached shot w/ the Canon). Since I still have my S1-IS, maybe I'll get it back out and play around with it a bit. It's funny though...I was digging around on Steve's and DPReview for quite awhile yesterday looking at replacement equipment and all of my searches led me to the FZ7...I probably oughta learn more about what I'm doing with it. The camera data on the Tweedy and REM pics oughta tell me a lot more about whats going on...perhaps I need a photography 101 class. All of that being said, the FZ7 seems to have a difficult time locking on the correct focus target quite often.

Attached Images

RKHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:42 AM   #13

RKHIII wrote:
Quote:
DMCFZRichie wrote:
Quote:
RKHIII- My original problem was in low light with the flash on, your pictures are without the flash. A tripod would fix your problem in short order, or the use of the 2s timer. Just pushing the capture button can cause the camera to shake more than normal, so the 2s timer can give you time to steady your hands for the shot. Or of course the tripod would take care of it all w/ the 2s timer.

I've found that these cameras are amazing for the price, but they do have their quirks
Great suggestion on the 2s timer...I use it quite often but still usually get blurry results. I'm 41 now...maybe I'm just getting old and shaky. : ) Maybe I have unrealistic low light expectations (especially w/ a zoom). Just seems like I was getting better results with my S1-IS (R.E.M. pic attached shot w/ the Canon). Since I still have my S1-IS, maybe I'll get it back out and play around with it a bit. It's funny though...I was digging around on Steve's and DPReview for quite awhile yesterday looking at replacement equipment and all of my searches led me to the FZ7...I probably oughta learn more about what I'm doing with it. The camera data on the Tweedy and REM pics oughta tell me a lot more about whats going on...perhaps I need a photography 101 class. All of that being said, the FZ7 seems to have a difficult time locking on the correct focus target quite often.

I often feel as though the problems I have with my FZ4 are due to the fact that I'm not using it correctly.

I found that the autofocus problem was mainly when I was zoomed too far in or standing too close to a low light subject. If I stand the recommended (in the manual) six feet away without zooming, my low light portraits come out right almost every time (again, I'm talking about with the flash on within the flash range).

You're right though, the S1-IS did seem to have a better time in that particular picture, but it may be fixable through the options in your FZ7, I'm still learning myself, so it's hard for me to say.

Good luck! If you find anything that works, pass along the info if you don't mind!

DMCFZRichie is offline   Reply With Quote