Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:54 AM   #1

How can I set up my FZ30 to focus on infinity?

I shot the Canary Wharf towers at sunset through trees this evening using Program mode at 28mm in spot focus. After several attempts the buildings were always out of focus.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:19 PM   #2

Focus manualy
Louis Lazecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:38 PM   #3

The auto-focus is selecting the stronger verticals-i.e the trees-to focus on. One way around this is to aim the spot focus point on the buildings only, half-press to lock focus and exposure, recompose and shoot. Though what I, myself, prefer to do if the DOF is shallow and there is time is to set AF/AE Lock to Focus Lock, use manual focus to get the exact focus then lock the focus, recompose, half-press for exposure and shoot.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 7:37 AM   #4

Many thanks for the advice.

I did spot focus on the buildings in the distance and then recompose but couldn't get a lock on the buildings themselves, perhaps because they were too far away - maybe two or three miles.

I have since tried the same shot on manual focus and the results are improved. In future I will probably need a teleconverter for this sort of distance.

Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:22 PM   #5

You mentioned that you set the AF/AE Lock to "Focus Lock". My FZ30 only has "AE LOCK". Does this also lock the focus?
Geejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:53 PM   #6

Ooops! I was referring to the AF/AE Lock on the FZ50. I had incorrectly assumed the same feature would apply to the FZ30 - my mistake...sorry. I guess you could achieve the same thing by using manual focus and than being careful not to touch the focus ring while composing the rest of the picture. Trouble is, on the FZ50 at least, the focus ring is rather easy to disturb.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the clarification. It would appear that an AF/AE lock on the FZ50 is better that just an AE lock on the FZ30. I didn't know that.

By the way, does anyone know of where there is a specification and feature comparison chart for the FZ30 and FZ50? Steve seems to take forever to review new products.
Geejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 7:50 AM   #8

If the edges of the buildings were clearly visible the camera should be able to focus on them....I would think at that distance you can maybe not hold on the edge of the building long enough to lock focus.

If you are using CA-F turn it off and for the life of me, what good would a teleconverter do for that type of shot.

There are those that feel IS mode 1 works better to help compose that type of photo.....I am not among them .....just wanted to give you an option.

It would help to see the photo in question with the exif included.

brucegarrett wrote:
Quote:
Many thanks for the advice.

I did spot focus on the buildings in the distance and then recompose but couldn't get a lock on the buildings themselves, perhaps because they were too far away - maybe two or three miles.

I have since tried the same shot on manual focus and the results are improved. In future I will probably need a teleconverter for this sort of distance.

Bruce
genece is offline   Reply With Quote