Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 17, 2006, 6:24 PM   #1

never mind
jellero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2006, 8:08 PM   #2

I think you are confusing megapixels and megabytes. The camera has a capacity in megapixels which are the number of individual light receptors on the sensors. Once the image is captured that information is stored in a jpeg file which uses a compression algorithm to compress the information into a file of indeterminate size. The size of the file varies depending on the subject and the amount of detail. A shot with a large amount of solid colour for example will tend to be smaller than one where there is a lot of detail as the compression algorithm can compress the information down to a much smaller resultant file.

2 MB sound about right compared with my 8 megapixel FZ30. I would check that as well as the 6M setting you have it set to fine detail or at least whatever the highest is on your camera.

Hope this makes some sort of sense.
rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 8:30 PM   #3

never mind
jellero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 9:04 PM   #4

I wasn't talking about a typo, I did not notice it to be truthful. Sorry if did not make myself clear. Whilst the file is in megabytes it does not equate to the size of the image which is in magapixels. The two are not the same thing. If I am telling you something you already know I apologise, not meaning to be condescending, just clarifying we are on the same page.

The following link on this web site has a table outlining the approximate expected capacity of various cards, and by a process of arithmetic, the exptected file size.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/fz7_pg2.html

If we take the IGB card as an example it predicts that it will hold about 320 images and therefore expects that each image will be about 3.1MB in size. It predicts double that number and therefore half that size at the lower jpeg quality. These figures will of course vary depending on the subject.

I do not know anything about your other camera so cannot comment on how large the files produced by it would be. Different cameras DO produce different size jpeg files as they compress at different ratios.

My FZ30 which is an 8 megapixel camera, produces jpeg files that range around the 4 megabyte mark. When I shoot in RAW mode when it produces 15 megabyte files. The difference for when I do enlargements is minimal, it is not based on teh size of the file but the amount of information that jpeg compression may have lost. At the fine quality setting this should be minimal.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 9:18 PM   #5

While I do not have a FZ7 I am surprised that the file size is under 2mb...I have a FZ20 and the file size of it was a little over 2mb.

It is the fact that the FZs use a good bit of compression but I did not think it was as much as your saying.

Are you aware that if you are using some software to download your photos, that may be adding more compression.

I just checked a bunch of FZ30 photos and while some are a bit over 4 mb the majority are a little over 3mbs.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 9:34 PM   #6

Gene,

So if the majority on the FZ30 are a little over 3MB we would expect that the FZ7 using a similar compression ratio should be a little over 2.2 given that the FZ30 is a 8MP camera and the FZ7 is a 6MP camera. So not exacly a perfect alignment for the OP but getting close.