Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:30 AM   #1

Hi all...and Holiday Greetings to you!

I have a question about stacking lenses. I have the Tcon-17 and I wouldn't mind a bit more zoom on my FZ5. I know there is a cheap Olympus C-180 and had read that the center of the lens is fairly clear. Would there be too much quality degradation if those lens were stacked? Just curious...

Or if there are any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

Beth Ellen
FZ5
www.eclecticcafejournal.com/WordPress
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2006, 2:30 PM   #2

Beth, I have tried about every combination of stacking I can think of. TCON-14B + TCON-17, TCON-17 + C-180 or c-210 and C-210 + C-180 and they all work but there is some image degradation. It is fun to play with and for the price of a C-180 why not. If you decide to you will need to get a 77mm to 62mm step down ring as it will snap into the front of the TCON-17 (mine is actually a B-300 but I think the TCON-17 is the same) and a 62mm to 52mm step down ring. There will be quite a bit of light loss so it needs to be a nice day when you are using it or you will need a tripod. And yes, I have tried the TCON-14B = TCON-17 + C210 and it does work but not great.
All of this was with my FZ-15, I have not tried it with my FZ-50.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 5:13 PM   #3

In my honest opinion the best combo I tried and I tried many....is a tcon14 (not a B) its a small clear lens with a large rear lens considering the overall size... in combination with a TCon17...

http://www.etronics.com/planding.asp...mp;svbname=403

If you decide on that combination you may need some help tp get it rigged,if so just ask.

A tcon14B also works well with a tcon17 but I think the weight would overwelm the FZ5.

there arre a few photos that I would not have if it were not for stacking but if your trying to improve image quality .... IMHO its not worth it.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 5:56 PM   #4

Below is a shot with the fz5 + c210 + tcon17 from about 200 ft away. Unlike tcook, I put the c210 (same size as c180) closest to the camera.The c180/210 doesn't have front threads but they can be easily added by breaking the glass from any 55mm filter, filing down the male threads a little, and pressure fitting the dummy filter into the front of the c180/210. It's a good firm fit and doesn't need any epoxy.

I don't usethe combo muchanymore, but I have had some fun with it. You can see how dark the corners are. This is straight from the camera.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:35 AM   #5

Thanks all. I kinda figured the quality would go down. It is odd how at times I don't feel like my 12x + TCON17 is quite enough. lol :?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:39 AM   #6

That don't look too bad. It has a kind of has that odd atmosphere to it that I even see when I use my TCON17 alone. You know what I mean? I am not finding the right words here but it would be nice to zoom in and not have it look like you are zoomed in. :roll: Maybe it is too early to explain myself.....

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Below is a shot with the fz5 + c210 + tcon17 from about 200 ft away. Unlike tcook, I put the c210 (same size as c180) closest to the camera.The c180/210 doesn't have front threads but they can be easily added by breaking the glass from any 55mm filter, filing down the male threads a little, and pressure fitting the dummy filter into the front of the c180/210. It's a good firm fit and doesn't need any epoxy.

I don't usethe combo muchanymore, but I have had some fun with it. You can see how dark the corners are. This is straight from the camera.