Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:10 AM   #1

Nice capture mono. You might try a monopod. I keep my camera on a monopod almost all the time now. You can get some third party monopods that arecheap but still good. I got a fiber one that collapses from 68" down to 18" and it's pretty easy to carry.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:39 AM   #2

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
Nice capture mono. You might try a monopod. I keep my camera on a monopod almost all the time now. You can get some third party monopods that arecheap but still good. I got a fiber one that collapses from 68" down to 18" and it's pretty easy to carry.

Don
Thanks, I'm sure a monopod would have been a big help in this situation and it's something that I'll certainly look into.
mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:06 AM   #3

I love Herons, thanks for sharing. donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:36 AM   #4

Nice chase and shots. I have tried to sneak up on one that has been trying to fish in my Koi pond and it takes off before I can get a shot. I checked your exif and saw you were shooting a 1/30 which hard to hold steady at 12X even with OIS. I think you did a really good job at that shutter speed. As Don said a monopod would have helped you out. In the instances where you don't have a monopod you could have tried setting the camera to shutter priority and ran you shutter speed up to between 100 and 250 and still got a good enough shot.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:21 AM   #5

Many thanks for all the advice. I was so caught up in the chase, I wasn't even aware what the camera settings were. Hopefully if I ever get another similar opportunity, I'll remember to do more than just press theshutter button!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:27 AM   #6

Good effort, and nice pictures. However, they would certainly look better with a little PP. I suggest you first download Picasa and GIMP, two very good image editors that are available free. Picasa is very easy and GIMP may take a little more time to learn, but it is certainly worth the effort.(In my two-year experience with digicam, I have not felt the need for anything more sophisticated than these.)As youhave the patience and interest to chase herons all the way, I am sure you can do this too! Good luck!
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:17 AM   #7

I've found herons to be one of the most easily 'spooked' animals I've tried to photograph. It's not easy to sneak up on them. These are nice snaps.

Please remember, though, that no matter where you are in the Northern Hemisphere, this season is harder on wildlife than other times of the year. The weather is more harsh, food is less available, etc. Chasing wildlife, or otherwise causing them to repeatedly flee (or just move) results in them expending their energy at a time when they have less energy to expend and less means to replace that energy.

Go easy on 'em...if you can't get the picture you want be patient and let them come back to you. If that doesn't work, try another day.

john

jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 2:40 AM   #8

Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:11 AM   #9

I thank you, wildlife photographers thank you, and herons everywhere thank you.:G

john
jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote