Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 26, 2006, 2:58 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

Snow Bed Why ??? (Horse)

I could only think of two reasons.

1. Snow is soft???

2. It was all that was available???






TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2006, 3:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
bayourebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,561
Default

Roger, the horse appears to be fenced in an enclosed area. Did he have a choice as to where he could lay down. Now I may be wrong, however, I do believe that even though snow is frozen precipation, it itself is quite a bit warmer than -8 degrees air temperature. Same theory is behind the use of igloos. If you put ice in water, the water temperature will be 32 degrees, it will not get any colder. Ice water is often used as standard to calibrate temperature reading devices. That is about as best an explanation as I can think of.

Jerry


bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 3:44 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Roger, the horse appears to be fenced in an enclosed area. Did he have a choice as to where he could lay down. Now I may be wrong, however, I do believe that even though snow is frozen precipation, it itself is quite a bit warmer than -8 degrees air temperature. Same theory is behind the use of igloos. If you put ice in water, the water temperature will be 32 degrees, it will not get any colder. Ice water is often used as standard to calibrate temperature reading devices. That is about as best an explanation as I can think of.

Jerry

Hello to you Jerry. Yes it was a fenced area but pretty large and all covered with snow. It looked to me like he was thinking about last summer.

Yesterday when I go this photo it had warmed up a lot. Plus 6 degrees.


TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 7:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rockingham Western Australia
Posts: 592
Default

I just think that he didn't snow any better

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 7:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

Bootneck3 wrote:
Quote:
I just think that he didn't snow any better

Fred
Hi Fred, Cooool comment.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:06 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
bayourebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,561
Default

Nice pun, Bootneck3
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:12 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 51
Default

Horses display sleep patterns that have evolved over time as a result of being a prey animal on the open plains. Generally, they take short 'power naps' while standing ready to flee.Legs are locked, muscles relaxed. But at some time during the 24-hour day horses must lie down for their deeper (REM) sleep. If there is a group of horses you'll often see one or more standing nearby 'watching over' the sleeping horse (sentinel effect). Generally, this deeper sleep takes place when the horse is lying flat out, not on its chest.

Compared to humans, horses get relatively little sleep, just a few hours a day if that much.The deep REM sleep can total just a few minutes. It's been observed that horses in a herd, either domestic or feral, get more sleep than those alone. Again, part of the sentinel effect.

Horses don't like to sleep in water or mud...otherwise, they're not all that needy.

john


jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:15 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

jmgiv wrote:
Quote:
Horses display sleep patterns that have evolved over time as a result of being a prey animal on the open plains. Generally, they take short 'power naps' while standing ready to flee.Legs are locked, muscles relaxed. But at some time during the 24-hour day horses must lie down for their deeper (REM) sleep. If there is a group of horses you'll often see one or more standing nearby 'watching over' the sleeping horse (sentinel effect). Generally, this deeper sleep takes place when the horse is lying flat out, not on its chest.

Compared to humans, horses get relatively little sleep, just a few hours a day if that much.The deep REM sleep can total just a few minutes. It's been observed that horses in a herd, either domestic or feral, get more sleep than those alone. Again, part of the sentinel effect.

Horses don't like to sleep in water or mud...otherwise, they're not all that needy.

john

Thanks for the information John.

http://photographyvoice.com/pv/potd/
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
tcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,703
Default

I don't know but it sure makes a pretty picture on that white snow.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:46 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

tcook wrote:
Quote:
I don't know but it sure makes a pretty picture on that white snow.
tcook, like you I didn't know. I thought it looked like a photo opportunity to me.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:23 PM.