Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 4, 2007, 6:58 PM   #1

Hello,

I'm looking for a used flash and I found one for € 25,--

Does the sunpak 3600 Thyristor work with my FZ30?

If yes, how does it connect to the camera, because the flash has no hot shoe connection?

Is it any good with the FZ30?

Is it better to look for a flash wich mounts to the hotshoe, or doesn't it really matter?

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2007, 4:31 AM   #2

I know now that the 3600 is not suitable for my FZ30 because of the trigger voltage.

Now I found an other flash. The Sunpak powerzoom 4000 AF. The trigger voltage is 5V so that should be OK. But in the add it says that the flash is for a minolta dynax camera. Does this mean I can not use it for my FZ30?

I also found one made for canon.... Is that one usable with my FZ30.

If they are usable, do I need anything to mount the flash on the hot shoe? And if I need anything, how expensive is it?

Sorry for these questions, but I'm a absolute beginner if it comes to flashes, but I really want one to get more reach, and the ability to bounce.

I hope some-one can give some answers.

I know that the sunpak 383 is very usable for my FZ30, but these are not sold as used here in holland, and I don't have enough money to buy a new one.

Rudo
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:01 AM   #3

I am surre the PZ4000 will work on the FZ30 but it is not as powerful as the 383 whereas If you can find the PZ5000 that is a very powerful flash.

I would think most any Canon flash should be fine as all Canons need a trigger voltage under 6 volts.

You really want a flash that has a guide # of at least 30meters and they need some type of adjustment on the flash itself as the camera and flash do not communicate.

There are some other sunpaks that fit the bill (422, 433, 444)

Or Metz flashes should be available to you......one other I know is the vivitar 285

Do you know about this page to check trigger voltages?

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:10 AM   #4

Hello Genece,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I think I'll wait till I have enough to buy a new Sunpak 383 (€ 128,--)

I also looked at the Metz flashes, and ther is one with a guide nr. of 76 m. (talking about more reach) But is way to expensive....

Rudo
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:42 AM   #5

Boy that is a powerful flash and I bet it is expensive......all Metz flashes seem expensive.... Good luck on your purchase.....acording to some at dpreview that sunpak 444 is identical to the 383 but I have never tried one.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:34 PM   #6

Yes that flash is expensive. Here in Holland it's € 579,--

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"To compare, I bought the FZ30 for € 535,--

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'll take a look if I can find a 444, otherwise I'll save just a few bit 'more euro'd the buy the 383.

Thanks again!

Rudo