Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:05 PM   #1

good day! it's been more than a couple of months since my first encounter with my FZ30 but up until now, i am still wondering of the actual use of the C-AF feature of this great camera. the manual was of no help (well, at least for me ) and i tried playing with it, too, but still can't figure it out.

help please? :roll:
fz30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:05 AM   #2

I don't have the FZ30 but the 50. I guess I don't understand your question . There is really nothing to figure out with the C-AF feture. Turn it on and the camera refocuses every time you move it. I keep C-AF turned off becauce the camera does a faster and better jod focusing the nano-second before the shot is taken. You just have to get used to framing your shot, out of focus and know the camera will take care of it.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:26 PM   #3

This is only my opinion....But C-AF does not work like it does on a DSLR......In fact I found it very annoying back with the FZ10 andI turned it off, and thats what I have done with every FZ since then.......it seems to me to serve no useful purpose.

And the problem is only aggravated if you use anything but spot or 1 area focusing.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 2:42 PM   #4

The biggest advantage of continuous AF is that you can half-depress the shutter and the focus continues to update. This gives you almost instant shutter response in dynamic situations. I find it an almost necessary feature for candid shots in group situations and especially for kids.

I use center focus on all of my cameras. I try to pre meter/pre focus for all of my shots and it is a no brainer to pre focus on my subject before reframing the shot if I know exactly where it is focusing. In the rare circumstance you might want to meter on something other than what you are focused on the FZs are ideal for that with the well designed switch on the lens.

If I could add one feature to my little pocket camera it would probably be continuous focus even over stabilization or high ISO capability. It is frustrating to be waiting for a good shot with the shutter half pressed and have the target move. You have to release the shutter and re focus, often missing the shot you want.

If you use your FZ only for nature and scenic photography the cont AF feature probably isn't a big deal. But for a general purpose family camera it is a feature you should learn to use.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 1:59 AM   #5

Neither my FZ20nor my FZ5keep focussing when the shutter button is half-depressed; the cAF ONLY works when the shutter button is NOT half-depressed.

Has that been changed in the FZ30???
Yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 6:41 AM   #6

Well I understand the importance as you describe, with shots that might move suddenly, but I cannot get my FZ30 to do that, it will only refocus if I take my finger back of the shutter button and then half press again? Am I missing something?

I also tried AE lock too, but that didnt do much either, I figured that would maintain the exposure if I moved the camera around but it recalculated the exposure constantly as normal?

Oh I think I need my manual out again.........:?
Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:50 AM   #7

slipe wrote:
Quote:
The biggest advantage of continuous AF is that you can half-depress the shutter and the focus continues to update. This gives you almost instant shutter response in dynamic situations. I find it an almost necessary feature for candid shots in group situations and especially for kids.
Quote:
If it worked that way it may be useful ....but mine does not work like that, when you 1/2 press the shutter the focus is locked C-AF or not.

Or as near as I can tell thats how it works, what I find annoying is if I am trying to focus on something difficult , it focuses on what ever is the easiest thing for it to focus on.

I would just experiment with it on and with it off, and decide what is useful to you.

The person with the problem with the AE lock perhaps you do not have it set correctly,I find that works fine.......maybe I do not have C-AF set correctly,but I find it to be next to useless.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote