Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:27 AM   #11

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Roger, that's quite a set-up! having the Sigma 80-400 myself, i know what your 50-500 rig weighs! one question... why the red-dot sight? with a DSLR, the viewfinder should be more than accurate enough, and since there's no noticeable "black-out" while the camera writes to memory, you really don't need the red-dot, and using it means you're not able to see any of the information in the viewfinder...
Morning squirrl033, thanks for looking.

I tried it both ways and the RDS is easier for me to pan with and keep the camera where I want it. Maybe because of the weight????

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7, Pentax K10D

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:31 AM   #12

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roger

Thats a pretty impressive bit of kit ! Do we have any pics that you can show us. The lens looks pretty impressive - whats the IQ from the whole setup ?

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
Morning Harj. Please tell me what IQ is????

Some photos so far.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=11

Thanks for lookin and I hope you enjou the photos.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:21 PM   #13

thehotel wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Roger, that's quite a set-up! having the Sigma 80-400 myself, i know what your 50-500 rig weighs! one question... why the red-dot sight? with a DSLR, the viewfinder should be more than accurate enough, and since there's no noticeable "black-out" while the camera writes to memory, you really don't need the red-dot, and using it means you're not able to see any of the information in the viewfinder...
Morning squirrl033, thanks for looking.

I tried it both ways and the RDS is easier for me to pan with and keep the camera where I want it. Maybe because of the weight????

TOTALLY WACKY roger
could be, Roger, though i'd think it'd be harder, because the eye relief distance of most red-dot sights would require you to hold the camera somewhere out in front of you. i find that with the viewfinder,i canhold steadier because i get a solid triangular brace betweenmy hands andpressing the viewfinder to my eye...whatever works for you, though... it's obvious from the shots you've taken so far that your technique works!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:15 PM   #14

Quote:

could be, Roger, though i'd think it'd be harder, because the eye relief distance of most red-dot sights would require you to hold the camera somewhere out in front of you. i find that with the viewfinder,i canhold steadier because i get a solid triangular brace betweenmy hands andpressing the viewfinder to my eye...whatever works for you, though... it's obvious from the shots you've taken so far that your technique works!
I use the Kwik Aim red dot sight which I think is the same one Roger uses becausehis looks the same as one of the models listedon the Kwik Aim website at www.kwikaim.com. For flying birds and other fast moving objects, I find itMUCH easier than using the viewfinder. My father, who uses a Canon 20D, alsoprefers the Kwik Aim.

drobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:42 AM   #15

TWR-

It looks like you getting pretty muchinto using your Bigma! When I got my Bigma, I took these shots to compare my D50/Bigma to my FZ30...

It does take a bit of getting used to the new techniques, weight/bulk (and price!) differentials but it sure is fun!
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:40 AM   #16

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
TWR-

It looks like you getting pretty muchinto using your Bigma! When I got my Bigma, I took these shots to compare my D50/Bigma to my FZ30...

It does take a bit of getting used to the new techniques, weight/bulk (and price!) differentials but it sure is fun!
I haven't put them side by side yet and thanks to your photos now I don't have to. I agree it is pretty big but IMHO NOT to big.

TOTALLY WACKY roger