Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:35 AM   #1

drat!! after 2-1/2 years and almost 11,000 photos, my trusty FZ20 seems to be malfunctioning!! inprogram mode, the exposure metering won't select a shutter speed longer than 1/4 second, regardless of aperture. i just did some night shots, and it seemed every shotcame up withf2.8at1/4 second exposure. i switched to aperture-priority mode and composed the same shot at f2.8, and it selected 1 second. somethin' in the "P" mode metering is messed up... i purchased an extended warranty with it, so i suppose i could send it back for repairs, but it'snot a big deal to shoot in aperture or shutter modes, where all seems well. still, it seems sad to see my trusty friend ailing...

in any case, it stillgot me a couple of shots like this one, whichi rather like... and with the weatherdue to clear up a bit - and get a lot colder! - tomorrow,perhaps i can get some daylight shots where the metering won'tbe a problem... :G

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:16 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about you friend. I think I would send it in for repairs. Sometimes what causes one problem, mushrooms into total failure if not taken care of quickly.

I really like the shot but it almost looks like you used a graduated ND filter on the top half of the picture to darken it.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:37 AM   #3

The snow level is supposed to drop to sea level around here for the next couple of days. I don't know if I would send it in or not as sometimes repairs can be worse than the problem. Sill taking nice shots though.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:30 PM   #4

Sorry to hear about your FZ20, it seems that you've been very busy with itthe last 21/2 years. The pictures look very nice and somehow different, by any chance, did you use the flash?

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:46 PM   #5

no flash, and no graduated ND filter... those were taking in a parking lot under artificual lights, and the tops of the trees were almost in shadow.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 4:19 PM   #6

Before you ship it off I would reset the camera to the Factory defaults.......perhaps even leave the battery out overnight after a reset.

I meant to add I have over 30,000 photos on a FZ20 and I have not used it in over a year ....it works fine.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 4:23 PM   #7

Hope all is well with the FZ. It obviously has been a great camera. Love the photos.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:22 PM   #8

Rocky, please get it fixed or buy another pana

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:24 AM   #9

i've arranged to send it in for warranty repair. i'll include instructions to return it as-is if they can 't fix it, since it's still perfectly usable in aperture and shutter modes. i figure if i send it in now, i'll have it back well before the return of nice weather, when i'll want to have it on hand. meanwhile, i'm sure my 30D will fill in adequately! LOL! and i may even get some more use out of that little LC-43! but i will definitely keep the FZ20...
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:52 AM   #10

This is a beautiful shot! Maybe the lights in the parking lot added the "mysterious" look to the photo. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote