Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:48 PM   #1

okay, it's not a pana-pic, but i thought you all might like to see it anyway... i read about it in this morning's paper, and decided to try to get a shot before it goes behind the sun. the comet is already very close to the sun, so it mostly gets lost in the sunset glow. still, the tail is clearly visible, and i can just imagine how spectacular this would be if it were farther away from the sun, and could be photographed in the deep indigo blue of evening... 30D with EX80-400 & 1.4x...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:52 PM   #2

interesting....thanks for sharing! Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:00 PM   #3

An excellent capture, Rocky.Reminds me of one I saw for several mornings back in the early 70's, I believe it was, started with a "K" Kohoutek or something like that. I wasn't into photography back then. Too bad. But it was clearly visiable several mornings in a row to the upper right of the early morning sun. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful photo. It is a great one to be proud of.

Found this photo on the internet. Says it was 1974. I could see it for a week or so on the way to work as the sun was breaking the horizion.

bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:38 PM   #4

Beautiful picture, Squirl. I am a sky enthusiast and am deeply disappointed that McNaught is not visible in India - technically, it is far too low in the horizon for us. I was just about to ask if anyone was able to do it and you post it as if you heard my mind. Thanks a ton!
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:06 PM   #5

That is a nice capture Rocky. I think the picture in the sunset glow framed by the foreground is just as effective as if it were taken against a dark background.

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:56 PM   #6

I'm with Fred, Rocky. I think the sun set colors make it much more interesting than a shot with black background. It seems to but it more in contact with us on earth. We're used to seeing comits against black. I'd frame that if I were you, although, you have sooooo many nice ones.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:54 AM   #7

I too have been looking at this comet, unfortunately it is/was only in the sky very low after sunset, but still managed to grab a couple of snaps:

Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 6:11 AM   #8

rocky: that is one nice photo u have there (well, I know that u do have more!)
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 7:40 AM   #9

Guys

Some really nice shots - wish we had something like a shooting star to and take pics of here in the UK.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:09 AM   #10

Wonderful shots of the comet both by Rocky and Seedubs. Actually they are fantastic.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote