Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:13 AM   #11

thanks for the reply, Gene. But I'm wondering why you didn't just remove the tcon 17to take the picture, rather than add the closeup.
drobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:30 AM   #12

I was Trying to reply to what that link from CKs said about if you use a teleconverter you actually can lose power from say 7 ft to 15 ft ......like at full zoom at 7ft which the FZ will focus, theimage is larger,than say with a tcon17 on at 15 ft which is about as close as you can focus with the teleconverter.

To take the photo at 4 ft with the FZ the most magnification I could use was 135mm and focus, while with the teleconverter and the CU lens I was able to use full zoom ...it made a difference of the woodpecker being less than 1/2 frame to being over full frame.

And as CKs page points out if you can use your feet to zoom ,its better than a teleconverter.

I got the Idea of the closeup lens from someone that uses similar combinations to take photos of fish in anaquarium

I must admit after getting a few hundred photos of the woodpecker I put the combo away and have never tried it again.....Its not a useful tool but can be useful at times and it is touchy ....with the CU I used you could focus with all that power at 4 ft but I needed to change CU lenses to focus at5 ft and yet another to focus at3 ft. But at about 4 ft (I think it was 44 inches) that combo gave me the most magnification I could come up with.

I have an Mcon40 which is a good closeup lens but that was the wrong distance for it.

I am beginning to think I should have went out and shoveled snow instead of opening my mouth.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:12 PM   #13

Thanks for the explanation, Gene.
drobie is offline   Reply With Quote