Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:17 AM   #11

Thanks, sounds like it could be the answer...donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 4:06 PM   #12

In particular situations the camera will tend to focus at a location other than intended.
I always forget that these camera's focus mechanisms have preference to a sharply defined verticle. So if you are attempting to shoot an object (like a bird) that is around some tree branches then the camera's focus might be "stolen" by a verticle (or near verticle) branch. (You will more often have a focus issue, such as you are describing, occur in low light.) In any event, to "better get the bird" just slew the camera & lock the focus to the nearest verticle (same distance as the bird) using say a tree branch & then photo the bird.

Understanding this concept is important to help ensure getting an accurate focus in low light when it cant seem to discern the subject (eg, often I have to force the auto focus in a low light situation by using something like the verticle portion of a door or wall hung picture frame that is in the vicinity of the target.)
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 4:26 PM   #13

I think you are right. I went out today with the camera and noted with the focus was "stolen". It was more often in low light with poor contrast. At great distance with full zoom I think it is easier for the camera to focus on the branches than one small grey titmouse. Donna
Old Feb 7, 2007, 5:59 PM   #14

<< I was trying to focus on a cardinal and the camera was focusing on the branches...I tried different modes. Sometimes on target sometimes not. Then I stood back and just focused on the feeder and it was sharp on the area behind it. I didn't notice this so much in the past. I tried several more times, and it was off about a third of the time....I am perplexed..... >>

Happens all the time with my FZ7!
RKHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:30 PM   #15

mine does it too about one fourth the time...when it is right it is so sharp...but can be frustrating. donna