Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 17, 2007, 5:08 PM   #1

My fz 7 is back focusing...anyone had this problem? donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2007, 5:45 PM   #2

Donna if your using the 3 pt or 9 pt focusing try 1 area fast focus or spot focus to see if either helps you with the focus.

I would try different focus modes perhaps the camera got stuck between settings.

The FZ cameras should not have the back focus problem as that has to do with the mirror on a dslr and the FZ's do not use a mirror ( I don't think so anyway)

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 5:51 PM   #3

Okay, today I was trying to focus on a cardinal and the camera was focusing on the branches...I tried different modes. Sometimes on target sometimes not. Then I stood back and just focused on the feeder and it was sharp on the area behind it. I didn't notice this so much in the past. I tried severa more times, and it was off about a third of the time....I am perplexed.....donna
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:46 PM   #4

What focusmode are you using......I am not familiar with the FZ7 but with the other FZs...if you are using one of the multi point focus modes (3 point or 9 pt) you can not force the camera to focus where you wish.....it focuses on the strongest contrast line it can find in one of the 3 or 9 areas.

I have good luck with the 1 area high speed mode on my FZ30, but the only way to be sure it picks the correct spot is to use spot focus.

And spot focus was pretty much the only focus mode that was reliable with the FZ10 and 20.....but my FZ30 seems very good with the 1 area.

One other thing you are at least 7 ft from the subject....correct?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:15 PM   #5

I have a fz30 and sometimes have a problem with the focus at high zoom. This sounds strange but OIS mode 1 helps. Try it maybe it will help.
Russ@onondaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:15 PM   #6

I was probably 20ft away...I usually use spot or center Hi speed...I don't know what was going on....yeah I was zoomed out...maybe I will try that. donna
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:33 PM   #7

If you are using spot focus I cannot figure out what it could be with your camera.
I have not experienced the back-focusing but do have an issue with my FZ-50 that I don't remember with the 30. If I am focused at say 70 feet away and then try to focus on something small at say 20 feet it will not focus. I have to pick something large like the trunk of a tree that is close to what I want to focus on, focus on it and then I can focus on the smaller object. Sure does not help for getting fast shots.

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:38 PM   #8

That is similar to my problem...not all the time...but annoying when you finally see a cardinal and can't see to focus on it just around it. I do use spot mode. I will try changing thevibration mode too as was suggested. Donna
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:05 PM   #9

If nothing seems to help .....Try resetting the camera to factory defaults.

And leave the battery out overnight......I do not know why that can help but many claim that leaving the battery out overnight has helped with various problems.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 5:02 AM   #10

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
Okay, today I was trying to focus on a cardinal and the camera was focusing on the branches...I tried different modes.
This is your problem. When branches or foliage and bird are both in the focus area, the autofocus will most often chose the branches or foliage. They simply have better edges to focus on, and usually cover more of the frame or focus area than the bird.

What I usually try to do is spot autofocus on the branch the bird is standing on, or the flower it's sipping from, or the leaves that seem closest to it. Sometimes even that's difficult. There's a good reason those little tweeters like to hide in foliage... Unfortunately manual focus or focus adjustment on the FZ-7 is nearly useless. My kingdom for a focus ring!

bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote