Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 17, 2007, 5:08 PM   #1

Bought a knock-off battery for the FZ30, and seemed to work fine for a while, BUT, now will not hold charge. Cannot charge it. The FZ50's battery is supposed to be better, model number CGR-S006A/1B on Panasonic's website. It costs (seen on ebay/froogle) anywhere between $40 something and $70 bucks full list retail. Should I just pay the money and get the Panny battery, and do you know a website with a good deal on it......or is there another knock-off battery that will get the job done? Thanks.

David
dmargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2007, 5:34 PM   #2

While you hear people saying the 3rd party batteries are as good as the original ...I have never found that to be the truth......some are good and most are worth the cost but quality control is not great with those companies.......

If you are in the states I would check the batterybarn.....its not that their batteries are so much better but their customer service is 1st rate.

http://www.batterybarn.com/cgas006.htm
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:04 PM   #3

Ive bought 2 knockoff batterys, one for my G7, and one for my wifes coolpix s1 and they have been just as good as the originals. And on the way I have a knockoff coming for my FZ50 we will see if my luck continues to be good.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:37 PM   #4

I bought two for my FZ-15 and one is great and the other is almost worthless.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:38 AM   #5

Lithium batteries, as per the FZ10/20/30/50, have a maximum life span of 2 to 3 years from date of manufacture.

Was there a date stamp on a label? or on the packaging it came in? Maybe a dark ink on the dark casing you can see under a magnifying glass?

It is best to buy from high volume resellers to ensure you get fresh stock.

A good resource site is >> http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

You'll see on this site that they also suggest avoiding draining a lithium battery completely flat. It is better to recharge a little bit every day on your lithiums than let them run down. That could also be another issue with your battery. If it sat for a long time the initial charge may have declined too far for too long and the battery may have been damaged.

My concern is that you bought a product using cells made by the same plant that made the Sony lithium laptop batteries that were subsequently OEM'd to Dell, IBM, and others. If you recall, they resulted in a few laptop fires. The problem in that case was that the lithium was contaminated, by nickel if I recall correctly.

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 5:50 AM   #6

I do not have any of the packaging...don't remember if it came with any either. Here's what it says on the battery:

Replacement for S006
4321025XA 7.4V 750mAh
Rechargeable Li-on Battery LI-ion

CAUTION:
DO NOT SHORT-CIRCUIT
DO NOT DISASSEMBLE.
DO NOT DISPOSE IN FIRE.
USE ONLY SPECIFIED CHARGER

CE
51210600 MADE IN CHINA
Old Jan 18, 2007, 5:59 AM   #7

I also have two knock off batteries for my FZ30 and they have also been as good as the originals. I bought them on ebay.
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:01 AM   #8

Maybe I just got a bad battery.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 8:13 AM   #9

There in lies the problem.....poor quality control.......but I will stick by what I said none are as good as the original....unless your original was less than it should have been....

Are the knock-offs worth 10 bucks or so.....sure they are. And if you get a good one so much the better.

At one time I bought a CTA battery for my FZ10...I was sure that was the best battery I ever had, so much so I bought 2 more of them and I recommended them to everyone I know. Two years later those batteries were all thown away (they quit functioning). and I am still using the original Panasonic that came with the FZ10 And I have heard from some that I recommended buying the CTA's , that I gave them poor advice.

Every forum I visit has had people test various brands and none compare to what the OEM was.... even for companies that do not make batteries, but farm them out , they demand better QC.

I still buy knock offs for the Panasonic batteries because Panasonic charges too much for the OEM but I only buy originals for my Nikons as the price is more reasonable. As I said I use the Batterybarn now for the batteries for the Panasonics and for Laptops, and cell phones , ect.....and while I consider them to be a good retailer I have still received batteries that did not fit or were DOA ....fortunately the batterybarn will replace them at no cost to me, they even pay the return shipping.

Another thing to consider Nikon had a bunch of batteriies sold that could cause damage to the D50/70...they recalled those batteries and stood behind the camera repairs. Where would you have been with a 3rd party battery?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote