Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:16 PM   #1

Hi all, I am still trying to get the needed camera gear to go with my FZ20. What I am hoping to get is some recommendations from the more experinced here as what to add to my "to buy" list. Here is what I currently have. A Phayee adapter, quality Linear polarizer and a UV filter, enough memory cards, short remote shutter switch with 40 foot extension, AA battery charger with 8 AA batteries for external flash, Aux camera battery with charger for AC or car use, lens caps with straps, Adorama hood. I currently have on my "to buy" list, a Velbon Maxi-347GB tripod and PH-145Q head, a SunPak 383 super flash and difuser, Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW digital camera backpack. I am making an adapter plate to go between the camera and the tripod head to hold the Aux camera battery and maybe some other items. I am trying to stay small and light for traveling. I will be using the camera for a little of everything but not for professional use. Most of my use will be outside and during the daytime. My computer is a Mac so if there is any good software that I might get for it please let me know.

Thanks, Al
mebareit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:55 PM   #2

If you want some advice I would get several camera batteries and dump the battery pack,,,IMHO , more trouble than they are worth.....you will see.

Perhaps you could use a teleconverter.....but then that may be of no interest to you.

Good luck with your camera.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:03 AM   #3

I agree with Gene but I also use a Tcon 17 teleconverter and Raynox 6600 Pro wide angle lens a lot. I think, if you had them you would get a lot of use out of them also.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:56 AM   #4

Yes I have been thinking of getting a wide angle and a telephoto converter to go with my gear. I have been doing a lot of reading about the different ones out there. After I posted my request for some guidance yesterday I went back and did some more reading of reviews. Last night I ordered the Olympus TCON-14B teleconverter lens. I am also going to buy the Olympus WCON-08B wide angle lens when I have a few more dollors to spend. I could have used the wide angle lens when I was in China last year. Now I will need to get some input as to what hoods will work well with these lenses. If anyone has used these lenses with hoods I would like to hear from you.

Thanks, Al
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:56 AM   #5

I just thought of something I don't have and I'm not sure if I need it or even what it should consist of, a camera care kit. Something to maybe clean lenses or whatever, I don't know.

Thanks, Al
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:20 PM   #6

I like to have a couple Micro fiber cloths in the camera bag.......And those 2 lenses you picked are the best for the FZ20....you made a good choice.

I do not believe its easy to find hoods for either of those lenses 86mm and 105mm
Old Jan 22, 2007, 9:37 PM   #7

Thanks Gene, I have more time than money so I find it better to do the research and buy the best I can afford one time rather then keep buying until I get it right. Maybe I could use an old coffee can and some duck tape to make a hood, naaa. I will add the Micro fiber cloths to my list of things to buy. I have also been thinking of getting a Macro and have been looking at the Nikon 6T. I think it has been discontinued though. I'm not sure how much I would use it, but I do think I should have one just in case I need it.

Thanks again, Al
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:13 AM   #8

My first accessorylens would be a macro lens. The fz series is relatively weak when it comes to true macro photography, but becomes a mean macro machine with the addition of an achromatic close-up lens. An excellent choice is the +3 diopter Nikon 4t for ~$30. It has 52mm threads so you may need a step down ring to fit it to your Phayee adapter.

I agree with Gene that the battery pack is burdensome and unneccessary. FZ20 batteriesgo for $10 each.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:25 AM   #9

mebareit wrote:
Quote:
. Maybe I could use an old coffee can and some duck tape to make a hood, naaa. I will add the Micro fiber cloths to my list of things to buy.

I have quite a collection of cut down plastic water glasses from the dollar store that I use as hoods...for many lenses.

And while I am terrible at Macros the raynox 150or 250and adapter is a good lens

And I have a Mcon 40 which is also quite good.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:36 PM   #10

Hi all, I ordered the Olympus WCON-08B, should be here soon. After doing more reading in these forums, I decides it would be a good ideal to get a good camera strap. I just ordered the OP/TECH USA, Pro Loop strap. I also bought two of the Canon AE-1 eyecups to help keep out the light.

I was looking at the screen shades/hoods for the 2" LCD screen and don't know what is the better one to use on the FZ20. My first thought was to get the Screen-Shade brand but I just don't know now. Any input here on the different shades? I live in Arizona and spend a lot of time in the sun so I think it would help.

I'm keeping a list of what I have had to buy so that maybe it can be used to help others that are new to photography. A big problem when you are new is you don't know what to ask or buy. I am also trying to come up with a list of good places to shop and a list of places to stay away from. I am getting much of this information from reading the forums here and others. Gee, I love the computer age, great for doing research.

Al