Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:29 PM   #1

Hi all,

When you are on a chill-out kind of holiday you get to just stare at nothing much a lot, or at least I do. As part of thatI stared a lot at clouds and the sky in general, and of course I played around with the camera a bit. Here is a sample of some of that chill time.
Would be interested in opinions on the 16:9 format, which I think adds something to this kind of shot and also to the playing around with exposure. I found that I liked the samples that were under exposed. Of course any C&C in general is always welcome.
Lets start with some storm clouds in the afternoon at Venus Bay

The view from the verandah (porch for N Americans)

Peaceful morning on the Tarwin River

On the road to Waratah Bay

Wilson's Promontory National Park across Waratah Bay

Morning at Arch Rock, Walkerville

Low tide at Venus Bay

See what the FZ30 zoom can do to a cloud at Venus Bay. Lovely isn't it? I though I had best make the comment, that apart from a small curves adjustment a a very little sharpen this is pretty much what the FZ30 saw.

back to wide-angle to compare

Hope you enjoy
Cheers
Rafael

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:02 PM   #2

A stunning series Rafael. Absolutely gorgeous scenes. BTW, verandah is quite commonly used here in south Louisiana, and I have heard it in other southern states.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:07 PM   #3

Very nice pictures.

I like the 16:9 format . It's like a poor man pano. I like shooting pano images. I use the free program "AutoStitch"

This a picture of a saltmarsh nature center in Brooklyn, NY. Taken with a Kodak (just bought my TZ1)

BiLL

:|
Attached Images

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:14 AM   #4

Very nice series of shots, I too love cloud formations and capturing them. The beach scenes sure look inviting. As to the 16:9 format, I have never used the in camera crop, I just shoot in the 4:3 format and then crop in PP to look like the 16:9 format. I think doing it on the computer gives me more flexibility in determining how to frame the shot.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:00 AM   #5

WOW and GORGEOUS...just a beautiful series of photos!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:14 AM   #6
rdk

If not too much trouble, can you indicate what settings/mode(s) you used to take these lovelyphotos? Program mode for all? Or, did you use the aperture/shutterspeed modes...or all manual? Thanks! I can't seem to control my FZ 30 to do this stuff, especially action shots.
rdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:18 AM   #7

Very nice series Rafael! Number 9 is by far my favorite. It's composed just right and has a soft and easy kind of feel to it.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:23 AM   #8

Looks like a very good spot to take a vacation. And you captured it well. I will have to try that wide screen on some lake cloud shots.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:08 PM   #9

Thanks all, appreciate the comments/feedback.

Bayourebel, thanks for the info on idiom. You just never know when one of our versions of English will trip someone else up.

Bill, like the saltmarsh.

Ted, the computer DOES give you more flexbility, but I have found that using the 16:9 in camera forces me to change my thinking a little.

rdk, you can find the EXIF info if you go to my web site http://rafael.zenfolio.com/p1007164862/. Hover over the top right hand corner of the photo and an i appears and hover over the i to get the EXIF. Generally I use Aperture priority mode and I generally had a negative exposure compensation. These were all shot in RAW mode and I did further negative exposure compensation before a little bit of curves and sharpening.

rafinmelb is offline   Reply With Quote