Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 23, 2007, 5:07 AM   #1

It's been overcast every single day that the comet has been visible, today the clouds finally cleared enough to get a partial shot through light cloud cover, unfortunately this meant 60s exposures on a windy hilltop so you get both streaking and not-quite-straight trails. If I can get at least one cloud-free day before it disappears again I hope to get some better shots than this.
Attached Images

Lens Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2007, 5:08 AM   #2

Could be almost anything really, I'm so jealous of people in other parts of the country who've been posting perfect shots of it against the sunset.
Attached Images

Lens Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:43 AM   #3

Unfortunate you have cloudy weather. Further, for shots like these, you should always use a tripod. Space.com and Skytonight.com have galleries of superb photos of this comet. Just unbelievable. Take time and try everyday until it gets out of view. I am sure you will succeed and post a really good photo.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:28 AM   #4

I agree with Raghu. Just hang in there and use a tripod if possible.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:46 PM   #5

This is the best I have been able to manage so far. I had to use ISO 400 to get the fainter parts of the tail to register - and since the sensor noise was horrible I had to use a lot of noise smoothing in post-process, so the detail is sorely lacking.

It was quite a sight though - just wish my FZ20 had longer than 8 sec max exposures, to capture it properly (or cleaner high ISOs)...

Attached Images

David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:05 PM   #6

I wish I had a comet to try and take pictures of. Good luck all in your continued attempts. How long will the comet be hanging around?
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:22 PM   #7

I took some photos last night of the comet but also ran into the problem of streaking due to needing a long exposure (about 30s minimum) to get anything decent (the comet is fading quite rapidly now in the southern skies)
I got a tip today however that is worth trying for things like this...
If you have photoshop (or GIMP or any other decent photo edit software that supports layers and different blending modes) then you can take several shorter duration shots and overlay all the layers (moving where necessary to line things up) then just select the blending mode which gives the result you are after.
Doing this, apparently, will result in a good bright image without the streaking etc associated with movement of starts etc during a long exposure (as well as reduce effects of long exposure noise)
Unfortunatley I didn't get any shorter duration shots last night that I could do this with but, if the cloud goes away tonight, I will have a play with it.

NivlacNZ is offline   Reply With Quote