Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:46 PM   #1

Just looking for advice. I currently have the Panasonic FZ 30 and love it. I was thinking of getting a smaller camera to carry around with me when I am at work in the City and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I am not looking for a lot of megapixels. I do want OIS and a good little zoom but don't have tons of money to spend on it. I like the look of the Panasonic DMC-LZ5. Anybody have any ideas or experience.

Thanks in advance.
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:25 PM   #2

As you probably know, I have the FX01, which I really like, and Judy likes it even more. She calls it the Baby Camera. I have to ask her if I can use it, and I bought for the same reason you are looking for a smaller camera. Guess what, I don't get to carry it with me, because she has it. Now it may well be more than what you wanted to pay. I believe I paid about $265 for it, but no reqrets. Fred Moore can tell you much more about it. Look for some of his posts. They will be found under 'fmoore'.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:05 PM   #3

I have 2 Kodak cameras. The smaller has 4x optical zoom and the large one has 10x optical zoom. I was looking at the Panasonic with 6x optical as a compromise/carry anywhere but going from 4x to 6x was no major change to me.

This can be called "The Goldielocks Delima". Too hot too cold too big too small etc.

I bought the TZ-1 which I find to be the perfect compromise. It has a 10x optical, IS and fits in a jacket pocket! Not having manual over rides is a minor inconvenience (closer to none existint). If you must play around with your image do it on your pc.

I bought mine at Best Buy because I had a $100.00 certificate there. A good deal can be found at Amazon (no tax and free frt.).

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I saw TZ-1 camera and it looked like what I wanted but in Canada it is about $480. I also saw the other one you mentioned gerry and that looked okay but didn't have the bells and whsitles of the TZ-1.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:42 PM   #5

Annies57

My TZ-1 was about US$243.00 at Best Buy.

Plan 1

You need a short vacation south of the border (this side of the falls) where you could relax and do some shopping.

Plan 2

Do you have a friend on this side of the bordere that could shop for you so you could pick it up on your weekend trip U.S. of A.

BiLL

:|
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:01 AM   #6

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually bought my FZ-30 from ebay from a US distributor and even paying the difference in the US dollar and the duty, I still managed to save about $250. Obviously the camera is much cheaper now since the FZ-50 came out.

I may be going to the US this summer but it seems like a long wait. By the time I would travel there and pick it up, it would be a very long trip. Maybe I will wait for a sale. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:31 AM   #7

Took a look at a map to see where Ontario is. Is it costly to travel to Amherst, NY?

There is a Best Buy there (1585 Niagra Falls Blvd.).

I knew people in Main and there are many factory outlet stores there and on weekends bus loads of people would come to shop from Canada.

Are there shopping day trips from Ontario that you could carry a little camera back in your bag.

BiLL
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:32 AM   #8

I bought the FX01 and love it. You need to remember that the LZ5 does not have the Leica lens. I don't know how much difference that makes but Panasonic and users allmake a big deal aboutthe Leica lenses, myself included.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:01 AM   #9

Annie,I have the FZ15 (which I purchased over the web from the US) and was also looking for a smaller camera. I tried the Pana LZ3 but I wasn' t satisfied. If you're looking for prices better than, say, Henry's, take a look at http://www.fredericksphoto.com. He's here in my hometown of St. Catharines. Right now he has the TZ1 on sale for about $380 (Canadian) and he does take orders on the website. His prices are consistently better than Henry's. Hope this helps.

Garth
garthmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:06 PM   #10

thanks for all of your advice. I have printed this info off and will look into my options and my pocket book. Thanks again!!!