Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:34 PM   #1

I am an olympus owner soon to possibly be an fz-7 or FZ-50 owner.....

I called Panasonic today and asked what I thoughtwhere severalsimple questions...they put me on hold...and while listening listening to that wonderful softmusic (what no Barry Manilow?) they discussed my difficult query.

__________________________________________________ ______

1) burst mode

According to Panasonic, once you hit the shutter button (on either camera)you can let go and it will take several photos in a row (not exactly sure how many or if the megapixel setting changes that).....I thought you had to hold down the shutter...they insisted you don't on either model...can anyone verify or negate this?

2) Shutter release cable

Panasonic only makes a 6ft length for the FZ50. They would not answer as to ifa generic longer shutter cable release will work. Has anyone tried?

__________________________________________________ ______

Can any of you FZ7/FZ50 owners help before my head explodes?

Thanks

Gregg

Clearwater, Florida

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:58 PM   #2

I hope you got more from the Music than you did from their tech.......I have had several FZ's and the ones I have you must hold the button down for the burst to continue......

And the only extended cord I know of for the FZ50 is sold by RJ that sells Phayee parts on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHAYEE-remote-ex...QQcmdZViewItem
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:09 PM   #3

My FZ7 in burst mode will stop the burst as soon as I release the shutter. At least in slow burst which I use. I don't know about infinite burst. If I set time delay in a burst mode it takes 3 shots, which it says in the instruction manual. You might wish to go to the Panasonic site and download manuals.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:10 PM   #4

hey, thanks Genece

I should have known I was in trouble whenI was first connectedto someone who asked if those models were cameras and then told me I was talking to "shavers" and that they are having a problem with the automated phone system...I had to call back

so on to try #2...I repeated to the woman that left me on hold that "you mean if I let go of the button, the burst mode will continue".....she said, yes.I said "I never heard of a burst mode working that way, you're sure?" She said yes, but it will only be a certain number of photos (I assumeduntil the buffer was filled)...So go figure. (Although the Canon S3DOES have a mode where after you press the shutter it will snap 10 photos on it's own)

Thanks for the link to ebay...that's exactlywhat I was asking panasonic about...she either didn't want to tell me or as I suspect was just reading off a list of accessories and really didn't know anything beyond that

I find it so perplexing...go back to 2000...my 3mp Olympus c-3040...1.8 lens and a wireless remote...now maybe one olympus has a remote....and the current line up...well...let's be polite and say mediocre...I would have thought all better cameras would have had a fast lens and a remote...and Iwas able to takea picture of a cat outside at night - almost total darkeness and no problem focusing - camera was handheld...

But...I've never had a long zoom...so that's why I narrowed it down to 3...the two panasonic and the canon S3 (although I'm not crazy about the softer images on the canon at wider f-stops)....and I ruled out the sony H5...I wear glasses and one look throught the viewfinderwas all I needed...because the eyepiece was so far out, it was like looking down a tunnel and I couldn't focus the evf...maybe there was a diopter adjustment...I wasn't sure...but I just didn't like the feel of that camera anyway

Right now, I'm leaning toward the FZ7 for budget reasons

gregg

Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:14 PM   #5

time delay?

do you still have to hold the button down or does that mean you hit the shutter, releaseand after so many seconds...3 photos will fire?

so confusing

Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:35 PM   #6

gregg wrote:
Quote:
time delay?

do you still have to hold the button down or does that mean you hit the shutter, releaseand after so many seconds...3 photos will fire?

so confusing

The camera has two time delay settings; 10 and 2 seconds. Any yes, you push button and let go, and a bit later a picture is taken. Or 3 if in burst mode. They are for avoiding tripod shake or giving you time to get in front of the lens.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:39 PM   #7

You mentioned above a bit leaning towards the FZ7 for budget reasons, and one of your listed possibles is an S3. I had planned and budgeted for an S3 and could have afforded one, but when I handled both of them and looked through EVF and and LCD, the Panasonic seemed much clearer to me. And I don't have an S3 to compare, but I understand it is a bit heavier because of those 4 AA batteries, and the Panasonic is like a feather around my neck. I walk an easy mile wearing it most days.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:53 PM   #8

thanks, happy peasant

....great suggestion....I can't believe I didn't think to look at the manual at panasonic's site...haven't checked the fz50 yet...but this answers my question right from the panasonic FZ7 manual

actually I did hold the canon in my hand...I did like it...athough I was not crazy about the smaller lcd...but it did swing out

[align=left]"When you set the self-timer in burst mode,[/align]
[align=left]the camera starts taking a picture 2 or[/align]
[align=left]10 seconds after the shutter button is[/align]
[align=left]pressed. The number of pictures taken at[/align]
[align=left]one time is fixed to 3."[/align]
[align=left]gregg[/align]
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:18 AM   #9

[align=left]genece,[/align]
[align=left]I just checked in the FZ50 manual on panasonic's site...this feature is the same as the FZ7[/align]
[align=left]"When you set the self-timer in burst mode,[/align]

[align=left]the camera starts taking a picture 2 or[/align]

[align=left]10 seconds after the shutter button is[/align]

[align=left]pressed. The number of pictures taken at[/align]

[align=left]one time is fixed to 3."[/align]

[align=left]gregg[/align]
[align=left]why couldn't the panasonic woman explain it like that?[/align]
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:42 AM   #10

gregg wrote:
Quote:

[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left]
[/align]
[align=left]why couldn't the panasonic woman explain it like that?[/align]
Probably because she did not read the book.

I keep my book next to the computer and every time I download a memory card I look up something in the book because a new question came up during the day's shooting.