Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:27 AM   #1

I have a compact Panasonic Lumix DMC-F7 camera that has long served well as a complement to my other long-Zoom cameras with tele-adapters. As a supplementary pocket-sized compact camera, it conveniently has allowed me to avoid removing accessory lenses from larger cameras by using it for incidental wide-angle and super close-up shots when in the field.

Now, the extending lens has "frozen" rigidly in extended position. With the battery fully charged, and also when connected to line power with the charging cable, the motor can be heard quietly to operate but the convenient on-board sliding lens cover seems to lock the lens barrel in place. Images resident on an SD card can be viewed in-camera even though the Leica lens won't retract.

Commercial repair of this old but useful point-and-shoot would be relatively costly. Still too useful and too good to discard! Anyone have any experience with such lock-up and how to release it?

Daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:42 PM   #2

Look around the side of lens barrel where it retracts very closely to see if any grit is jaming the lens from retracting.

Turn off the camera and then remove the battery. Reinsert the battery and turn on the camera.

If it is not worth fixing it can still be used to review pictures on sd memory chips!

May the force be with you and the Pano/Lumax/Leica gods smile on you!

BiLL

:|

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 2:35 PM   #3

Bill2468--
Thanks for the suggestions. I had done all of the above without success.
Of course, I do have better alternatives for SD viewing.

The Panasonic Service Site lists a routine service charge of $161.50 (Possibly more if by estimate). Perhaps it will have to serve as a dust-catcher paper weight unless I can get a local repair more in line with current value. Camera prices drop and quality/features rise at such rate that immediate obsolescence is the rule. Better that than otherwise, I suppose.
Daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 4:01 PM   #4

I had the same problem with one of my Kodak cameras and that flat rate repair rate.You will get about the same quote from all camera repair places on a electronic camera.

This s the price we pay for technology. At one time a repair involved replacing a part or repairing a part,now it involves a circuit board.

I retired my Kodak that was becoming way off in auto focus regardless what the subject was or how far it was or how big it was. One day I took it out just to give it one lat try and it came to life and the focus was on the button. tried out in apark where a football game was in progress and it was just fine! I gave the camera to my girl friend and a second camera and she loves it.

Try panasonic usa regaeding trade ins for a new or refurb. Be sure to take in consideration the price of the camera you want for your regular place of buying a camera andthe warranty on the refurb.

Good luck,

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 4:52 PM   #5

Daedalus wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps it will have to serve as a dust-catcher paper weight....
Daedalus,

Before totally giving up, try the following:

Turn the power on, then turn the power off while pressing gently but firmly to help the lens retract. It may take more than one try and you may need to rock the barrel back and forth very slightly. This procedure will hopefully get the gears, racks, and pinions back into proper alignment and has worked for others before. (I personally have not needed to try this on my FZ20.) (Yet:O)

Dick
http://rschofield.smugmug.com/

rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote