Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:15 PM   #1

I am deciding between the 3.....and could use some help

Right now, I'm leaning toward the FZ7 for budget reasons...but I may try to come up with enough for an FZ30...if I see any good buys

The strange thing is the fz50 is dropping in price while the fz30 has remained somewhat stable in price since the fz50's introduction...there are on line dealers that sell the fz50 for about $460-500 and the FZ30 for about the same (of course that might say a lot about the fz30's quality)

The only meaningful difference for me seems to be the TTL function for the flash...but that would mean spending quite a bit for one whe I suppose I could use a slave on any of the models

3 questions...

1) with all this put down in low light...what if you are in a living room with onlyone or two75 watt bulbs?...or even a dark restaurant...will the camera focus and lock? I have to assume it will do a better job than my olympus c-5000...I am assuming everything is relative....and with the AF beamand IS it should be a vast improvement over my (much older) olympus cameras? And can you use either the LCD or EVF in low light?

2)Does anyone know if there is a difference in low light performance between the 30 and the 50?

3)I keep hearing that the the 30/50 are "notgreat in low light"....but most don't finish the statement.....say, because the internal flash isn't powerful enough and you will get better photos using an external flash or make sure you turn up the EV settings and don't shoot higher than 100iso...Can you share your experiences with using these cameras/flashin low light?

my decision boils down to this

on the one hand I could get an FZ7 and be very happy BUT....if I can afford the 30/50...I then add a wired remote and in the 50's case TTL flash...I heard my FL20 olympus flash will operate in TTL mode on it....I don't know if that flash is actually an improvement over the 30/50's internal flash though

yes I want to have my cake and eat it too...too spoiled by my dinky little c-5000 with so many features including a hotshoe AND being able to use both internalAND external flash at the same time AND a wireless remote

with the fz30/50....I would probable never need the c-5000 again

but I have heard the fz7 is great in low light while the fz 30/50 aren't as good.....butfew talk about what settings they had the camera at when they tried in lower light or was it just difficult to see the lcd or did they use an externalflash or flash slave

on the other hand my budget is tight

my brain hurts

thanks everyone
gregg

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:51 PM   #2

You want to save money and get the best low light FZ zoom then buy an FZ20. After the 20 performance has been down hill. F2.8 at all zoom settings.

These shots can not be done with the 30 or 50 models.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:51 AM   #3

Thanks lovelife

great photos!

...but I have to ask the obvious...why can't they be done with the 30/50?

besides...the 20 would not work for me....to spend that kind of money and not get the ttl flash that you get on the fz50...seems a waist for me as I'm looking to either just get a camera with a great zoom or replaceas much of the features on my olympus as possible (hotshoe, ttl flash, low light visibility with the lcd/evf)...of course then I add the articulated lCD

correcty me if I am wrong...but while I heard the 20 is a great camera....the biggest beef is trying to see anything in low light or it's ability to focus inlow light. Now I realize those photos are low light...but...they are flooded with spotlights so the cameras ability to dectect contrast isn't completely thwarted.

Also the FZ50 is dropping in price....I would not be at all interested at $600-650...but at $470 it's starting to look very interesting. I don't do a lot of low light photography but it would be nice to know I can and that whatever I select will be a step up from my current olympus models in low light

thanks again

send in the clowns (sorry)

gregg

Old Jan 31, 2007, 2:58 AM   #4

These shots were done at f2.8 full zoom ISO 400 the 10 and 20 have lower noise levels then the 30 and 50. The 50 is a piece of junk and is not selling well it produces caulky washed out pictures with poor detail. The 30 is a touch better.

TTL flash so what. Get a Sunpak 383 flash and produce flash results like this.

BTW these are all done with the FZ10. Yes 4 MP. What good is 10MP when you can not make big pictures because of low detail?

Here is a shot in daylight.

You like most every body else on these forums haven't a clue what is the most important features from a camera. Sharp pictures with good color resolution; nothing else matters.

The power zoom was the great feature but now we have the cheaper retro look. Panasonic keeps weaving their web of meaningless features.

Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:10 AM   #5

yes, i hate this mp race marketing hype...crammming 10million pixels into that little ccd is ridiculous

Again, I do agree with everything you are saying but...

I could care less about 10mp...yes I wish it was lower....my olympus is 5mp..but once re-sized (or printed at 4x6 I'm willing to bet)...the photos on an fz50 look great...with one note....I would shoot mostly at 100 and rarely above 200 (and even then in bright light or with a good flash only)

My olympus c-5000...truly awful in auto in a dark room...use shutter preferred at 1/60...keeep it at iso 100 (in auto it tries to drop to 160-320...ugh)...use both internal + external ttl flash (unfortunately something you can't do on any panasonic)and keep below 4.0....wow what a difference

I heard the evf and lcd on the 20 are all but useless in low light?

I wrote to the photographer below about his photos...he said he keeps it atdefault (standard) NR settings and shoots below 200iso with his fz50

i'm a firm believer that a good camera gets even better in the right hands...I've seen terrible shots with a DSLR and great ones with a $190 canon

oh...does the 20 allow a remote shutter release...just curious

don't get me wrong....you have a great camera...and I admit the 400iso was a surprise

in the end i may end up with an fz7...just beause its' about half the price...we'll see

gregg

http://www.pbase.com/henryhpk/cowandcat&page=11
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:16 AM   #6

we may have a new entry in the race...I'll have to read about it...THE FZ8

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0701/07...nasonicfz8.asp
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:45 AM   #7

"You like most every body else on these forums haven't a clue what is the most important features from a camera."

OUCH!

RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:02 PM   #8

gregg wrote:
Quote:
we may have a new entry in the race...I'll have to read about it...THE FZ8

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0701/07...nasonicfz8.asp
FZ8=more MP oh well.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 2:25 PM   #9

Quote:
"You like most every body else on these forums haven't a clue what is the most important features from a camera."
Hi Jerry

Nice to see some fab shots from the FZ10 but the above remark is a wee bit patronising to say the least . You know that just as important is the person taking the shots.

An 8MP FZ8 well, what can I say - the race continues and the loons in the marketing dept's are still calling the shots.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:48 PM   #10

Hi, I'm really enjoyed with my new FZ50 (WildLife Outdoors shots give me very good results), And the camera is really fast!.

Image quality is excellent, i dont need to post examples here. There are lots of reviews about the FZ50 with very good examples. In my case Indoor shots were very good too.

IMO, for indoor shots or low light performance, you'll have very good results with FZ50, FZ30 (little noiser) or FZ2O (Although the FZ20 is a little slower, so you can miss the right moment when focusing) or FZ7. Even with other top Ultra Zoom brands like Canon S2is, S3is, or Sony H1, H2, H5 you can get excellent results.

Let meshow you a little example about how good are the actualtop ultra Zoom cameras: This is a G3 concert in Argentina at the end of 2006. The picture was taken with my old Canon S2is, at full tele 12x, lowest ISOand handheld (without any tripod) at 1/25 shutter speed, F3.5, the subject distancewere almost 30 mts!!! and in constant movement with very poor light (obviously without flash) PS just for resize:

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Tarrio/Desktop/IMG_2549_ejemplo.jpg[/img]

So, you have a lot of choices and i'm shure you'll take the right decision (think in your budget, maybe you needfast response (FZ50 zoom and focus rings are great!!!), or if you need to take pictures at diferent angles the flip-outlcd is VERY usefull (S2is, S3is or FZ50) (FZ30 has limited angles so it isnĀ“t good enough). For example i find very useful for bugs macro photos where you can reach the floor with a perfect visibility for composition.

Flash in FZ50 is the best of the group, reaching almost 8 mts.

I also saw EXCELLENT results in very low light with the Sony H series (even a little better than S2is).

PD: Apologize for my bad english.
dtarrio is offline   Reply With Quote