Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:09 AM   #1

Gentleman,

While new to this forum, photography has been a lifelong interest. About 5 years ago I graduated to digital and currently use a Panasonic DMC-L1 and the DMC-FZ50. I consider both to be exceptionally fine cameras, largely attributed to the Leica optics. I also find much of the banter about excessive noise to be almost meaningless. We all use some type of post-processing (myself, Photoshop CS2) so if the noise is so offensive it's easy to remove it. Perhaps many fail to realize that the smaller image sensors that make 12X optical zoom possible, also contribute to the increase in noise. I consider this a fact of life. Increased noise reduction techniques, while lowering noise, will inadvertaintenly slightly soften the image. Yet, at an 8x10 I can't see the softening.

Looking back to the days of shooting Tri-X or high speed Kodachrome the grain they exhibited isn't that much different than noise we experience at higher ISO's with non-digital SLR cameras. Back in those days, we didn't have Photoshop, and we accepted it without all the complaints. But now to my question.

So even with all my years of experience, I'm totally in the fog when it comes to understanding the "dpi" spec and how it relates to printing.

· My Panasonic's create a photo that when viewed in Photoshop show a resolution of 72 d.p.i. Using that number, if I multiple the horizontal and vertical pixels by 72 I come out with a theoretic size that seems too large to be possible.

· When I print this image (from Photoshop) I usually wind up only printing a portion of the total image. Of course, I can resize it and the entire image gets printed.

· My understanding is that printers, in general, use a standard of 300 d.p.i. Commercial printing services, like Costco, recognize the photos at 72 dpi and automatically convert them (or resize?) to 300 dpi.

· If I were to use Photoshop to convert my original 72 d.p.i. Panasonic images to 300 d.p.i., would there be any advantages or disadvantages? Would the photo converted to 300 d.p.i. look sharper? Logically it seems that an image at 300 d.p.i. should be sharper. I suspect that logic doesn't apply here!

Any explanation, or reference web sites that can explain this in English would truly be appreciated!

One final question. I enjoy sharing photos. Can someone briefly explain how I can include a photo with my post? I suspect it involves including a link to where the photo resides. Since I don't have a server, are there public, no cost servers for this purpose?
Thanks to all!
Pansat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:47 AM   #2

It makes absolutely no difference what DPI the photo is set to .....only when you print is that a factor...........to prove it to yourself......open the photo in photoshop and do nothing but change the dpi to 300 or 400 or anything you wish, just make sure "resample image" is not checked.

Now save that file as another name ( just add a letter to the end of the file name)........Now look at the images with window P&F viewer or what ever program you use to view files.....look the same? they do or you changed something else.

One other tip you do not need 300dpi to make a high quality print.....and if costco is going to print my photos I resize them myself, and Icheck the box for them to do nothing to my photos but print them.

I forget the correct wording ,as cosco is not near me, but I do not allow a printer to do any modifications to my photos. I resize , enhance and sharpen photos for my final output and I do not want it changed.

Here is an article that while its about printing it explains the DPI thing pretty well

http://www.scantips.com/basics1a.html
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:04 PM   #3

Hi Pansat, and welcome to the forum.

While I don't have any web sites for you, I can say that I don't do any converting at all. I print my own photos using a Canon 4000 ink jet printer and they come out good enough to win prizes at local exhibits and contest I have entered.

I have found that after I process my photos to my liking,if I order prints over the web, they always come back changed. Never as good as I could print at home. I suspect this is because, no matter who you use, they always run your photos through their computers, where they are adjusted to their idea of what the photo should look like. In other words, I spend time getting the effect I want and they change it.

As far as posting photos, you do need host site for your photos. There are several, free sites you can use. I personally use http://dsr1.zoto.com/galleriesYou can click on Get Your Own at the top right and sign up. After uploading your photos you can click "show all photos" and it will bring up every photo you have ever uploaded. Click on the photo you want to post, click, show other sizes at the bottom and select the size you want to post. I post the 490x490 size because it fits the screen better after posting. After this size photo comes up, all you need do is right click on the photo, click copy, then come back to your thread you are posting it on and paste it.

A warning: On some forums you copy and paste the url address instead of the photo.

Hope this helps and I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 1:54 PM   #4

I'm not going to try to explain dpi in normal english, my english isn't good enough for that :-).

Just one remark, normally i send my shots to a digital printservice at 250dpi.
This reduces the amount of data I'll have to upload and because most printservices use a 250dpi setting to produce their foto's they dont resize the shots to much.

For more info on dpi take a look at.

http://www.layersmagazine.com/the-re...g-quality.html

http://freephotoshopguides.com/tips/...doesnt-matter/

http://projectsonline.org/web_to_print_media.htm

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:50 PM   #5

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
I have found that after I process my photos to my liking,if I order prints over the web, they always come back changed. Never as good as I could print at home. I suspect this is because, no matter who you use, they always run your photos through their computers, where they are adjusted to their idea of what the photo should look like. In other words, I spend time getting the effect I want and they change it.
Perhaps I can explain what's happening. Most of us make adjustments to our photos, assuming what we see is what will print. In order for that too happen, you need to caliberate your monitor and use the specific printer profile you will use to print your photos. Costco offers their profile file.

Monitor caliberation software (and required hardware) would cost you at least $400 for something decent. Once that's done, what you see (and adjusted) will be what your print looks like.

Thanks to all who responded so far.
Pansat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 4:55 PM   #6

An easy hosting service is photobucket.com. I think you have to resize there to what you want to appear here. Then they give you multiple choices of copyable links or picture insertion urls depending on what you wish to do. Flickr will resize pictures to a number of different sizes but their posting procedure (at least for this board) is much more complicated.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:15 PM   #7

Let me try to explain my reasoning for not permitting a printer to touch my photo..... lets say for the sake of arguement I shot the photo in the 3:2 ratio, that will print a perfect 4 X 6 or 8 X 12.......but not a 5 X 7 or8 X10, So I edit my photos to the size I want printed by cropping/resizing, Not stretching or shrinking.....

And I feel strongly its their job to match their ink and paper to my profile not the other way around.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote