Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:39 PM   #1

i don't normally like to toot my own horn too much, but this is just too cool! my photo of the bubble just won Photo of the Year at http://www.photographycorner.com !!!

if you aren't familiar with it, it's a pretty good sized forum (9000+ members) that has the usual stuff, plus a regular photo of the month contest. this is their first PotY contest... in addition to braggin' rights, i also snagged over $3,600 worth of cash and prizes!!! i'm still in shock, i figured i'd do well to get an honorable mention, and only in my wildest dreams hoped to place in the top 3!! that photo, which i took just on a whim, has really turned into something special for me.... :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:59 PM   #2

Congratulations!! We're all very porud of you. I must say, after seeing some of the shots you have posted here, that I am not at all surprised. Keep up the good work.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:05 PM   #3

congrats
i think its a stunning pic
how the heck did u shoot it or make it......its way beyond me
well done....you deserve it
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:08 PM   #4

Well deserved Rocky. Congratulations.

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:09 PM   #5

That's great, it is truly an exceptional shot.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:22 PM   #6

Congratulations. Was any of that prize loot a new camera or cameras?
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:28 PM   #7

thanks, everyone! how i did it? well, i was at a local park, looking to shoot birds. there was a young couple on the walkway ahead of me, and the girl was blowing bubbles with a wand. most of them drifted off or popped, but one lit on a stalk of wild grass and didn't burst. i was about 30 feet away when i saw it, so i scooted up as close as my lens would focus (about 6 feet - i was using my Sigma 80-400 lens), composed the shot to get excess stalks out of the background, and got off 3 shots before the bubble popped. shot at 1/250 @ f5.6, hand held with my Canon 30D.

no, no cameras in the prize package, but i did get a complete set of Lensbabies... not sure how much i'll use 'em for the kinds of things i do, but i expect i'll find something they can do for me! i also got $250 in cash, a couple of really nice camera bags (one's really more like a suitcase with wheels and an extendable handle), 3 or 4 different image processing programs (Imagealign, Bibble Pro, etc.), free printing services, a webhosting/gallery complete with Paypal, and some other stuff... i gotta say, i'm pretty pumped about this one!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:30 PM   #8

Congratulations! Allthree - you, your camera and your photograph certainly deserve it.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:53 PM   #9

Well, Rocky you know I am not surprised. I admired that shot when you first posted it. At the time, I said it was a wall hanger, and I still believe it to be one of those "powerball" photos (by that I mean the chances of my happening on one like that).

Forgot to say: Congratulations. A Big Rubber Stamp to you. You've come along way with the "Bubble" photo since last July.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:56 PM   #10

Yeah for you Rocky!!! Couldn't have happened to a better photographer! Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote