Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:59 AM   #1

hi all,

I've recently purchased a pemaraal PD55 lens adapter, Hoya multi-coated

UV filter , Lumix linear polarizer and a Hama type collapsible lens hood for

the fz20.

I'd like to know people's thoughts on using a combination of a the polarizer

and UV filter on the fz20 in bright contrasty conditions.

ie. should Imount thembothon? if so which one should be at the front?:?

Thanks in advance:-)

raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:56 AM   #2

There is no point in using a UV filter in combination with a polarizer.....will you notice any difference ....I kind of doubt it, but a UV filter does nothing on a digital camera, but protect the lens.

If you stack the filters you are just adding another surface to degrade the photo....I have done it.....in fact I do it a lot because I need a filter on the lens to hold my flip open lens cap......but I do not believe you should stack filters. My case is just a compromise I make to use a cap that I can not lose.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:39 PM   #3

ok thanks for clearing that up genece!:-)
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:24 AM   #4

Raver, the nice thing about digital photography is that you can try anything without cost. I presume that you already stacked the filters yourself to make some test shots - what canYOUtellUSabout the results?
Yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:02 AM   #5

With my FZ20, I've used a Hoya UV filter and a circular polarizer with Hamas type collapsible hood but ohhhhh what trouble I've had.

First the hood, while mounted on the polarizer, caught on the edge of the bag while I was repositionning the camera and it split the polarizer into two. I was never able to put it back together.

Now the same hood is stuck in the threads of the UV filter. The combo has been banging around in my bag and the filter has picked up some marks so I've tried to get them apart using brute force. OMG.... not a chance, even using pliers to grip the filter edge.

I'm going to ditch the cheap knock off hood rather than risk it getting stuck again in the new UV filter I'm about to pick up. But.... is there any sort of lube I can put on the threads to prevent this from happening again?

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:55 AM   #6

Yogibear wrote:
Quote:
Raver, the nice thing about digital photography is that you can try anything without cost. I presume that you already stacked the filters yourself to make some test shots - what canYOUtellUSabout the results?
There's not much I can tell you because I have'nt tried this

combination yet, I tried the linear polariser on it's ownon

a sunny afternoon and then removed it and then took a very

similarshotagain, I was quite suprised with the difference

the polarisermade.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 8:15 AM   #7

Boy that may be a great example to not stack filters....I hope you get it straighen out.

And I know of nothing you can put on filter threads.....I alwas make sure the filters screw together smoothly but if they do not I know of nothing that helps or that I would want to get on my lens or filters.

When filters get stuck from a blow or a temp change.....squeezing the filter in a manner like you open a jar only aggrivates the problem.......even filter wrenches work the same way and its my guess that in over 50% of the time do not work and in fact makes matters worse.

I do not know if I can explain this method....but an old retired camera repair man showed me. He used a couple pieces of rubber that looked like the back of a couple old mouse pads.......But a pair of tennis shoes will do the same thing.

Put the filters between the soles of2 tennis shoes and while pressing together twist, the filters become loose so easily you will be amazed. That system has worked for me every time since he showed me......I hope it works for you.

When he showed me ,I had a step ring stuck on a camera and had bought and tried the filter wrenches with no success.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:31 AM   #8

NewsyL wrote:
Quote:

Now the same hood is stuck in the threads of the UV filter. The combo has been banging around in my bag and the filter has picked up some marks so I've tried to get them apart using brute force. OMG.... not a chance, even using pliers to grip the filter edge.

A wide rubber band will usually provide you with enough grip to remove a stuck filter/hood, etc.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Even better is a strip of the non-slip rubber shelf lining material available in the Housewares department of Wal Mart and other places. I keep a strip about 1/2 inches wide and 8 inches long in my camera bag at all times...works great!

drobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:43 PM   #9

Good tips! I think I understand how the rubber sneakers trick works. I can make something using left over pieces of laminate flooring and either some drafting table surface or something similar such as rubber lid grippers.

I'll have to try the rubber band trick but I will tell you that I've had the rubber Hamas hood in one hand and the UV filter gripped using one of those rubbery lid grippers and they just would not come apart. I was close to ripping the rubber hood off its' threaded adapter.

I'm willing to experiment now that the UV filter is marked up and I no longer care for the hood suspecting its' threads are the culprit.

For raver, be real careful if you have the rubber hood mounted on your polarizer. It really did not take much force for me to split the polarizer. It was just one of those moments taking the camera out of its bag with everything mounted and ready to shoot, I looked up at the scene and the hood grabbed on the bag which was being held by my other hand. Simply pure leverage courtesy of the hood and its' sticky rubber material. In using the polarizer I felt it needed a hood to avoid stray light so I always mounted the hood to it though I never stacked it with the UV filter.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:04 PM   #10

Thanks for the handy tips guys!:-)

NewsyL I'll keep that in mind when I remove my camera

from my bag although the Lumix linear polarizer certainly

looks very well made and quite tough unlike some other

brands I've seen.