Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:13 PM   #11

My 2c after owning an FZ7 for about a year.

All comments made so far are worth considering especially the one about turning the flash down, I find it to be far too powerful for close indoor shots. TBH I am yet to crack it for any really good flash shots indoors so if at all possible I would avoid using the flash and just go a bit higher with the ISO if you think there may be enough light, but maybe thats just my inexperience with flash photography.
Auto white balance seems to give excellent results on this camera and and I seldom achieve better skin tones when moving away from this setting. I used to play with the WB all the time until I realised the camera could do better in auto than I could. One of the greatest features of the FZ7 is the joystick which gives direct access to some of the critical settings, I recommend you make a priority of familiarising yourself with it.
Noise is pretty much a non issue for me with this camera but then I dont do big prints and rarely go above ISO200. Consider what size prints you may want to produce and adjust accordingly.

Good luck on your special day, would love to see your shots. Perhaps you might like to share them with us.

kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:57 PM   #12

kowalski wrote:
Quote:
My 2c after owning an FZ7 for about a year.

I am yet to crack it for any really good flash shots indoors so if at all possible I would avoid using the flash and just go a bit higher with the ISO if you think there may be enough light, but maybe thats just my inexperience with flash photography.

Good luck on your special day, would love to see your shots. Perhaps you might like to share them with us.
kowalski, (and lisamichelle), to get good shots with the flash don't be afraid to experiment. Shot below was very close range and full flash. But shutter priority or manual was used with a shutter speed of 1/400 second. With half the shutter speed and the flash turned down a step similar results would probably happen. I picked this shot because the inside pattern of the cat bed reminds me of baby blanket patterns. I wish I could give more flash examples but I just play around with settings now and then like I did here. (Click on picture to see large version in flickr.)

And I second the above. Show us a shot or two. Or tell us how it goes at least. I do hope the camera made it or makes it in time.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote